Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

No announcement yet.

Popcorn Ceilings

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popcorn Ceilings

Do you guys like popcorn ceilings? I hate them. I was looking around some on how to go about redoing them and had never realized how much work it was actually to redo them. Has anyone on here have any tips on redoing them? Thanks

Here's a good link. The stuff really sucks if you happen to buy a house with it!

Thank you, I will definently check out the link. I was one of the unlucky ones that bought a house where every room has these types of ceilings. Thanks again.

popcorn ceilings

We had popcorn ceilings in are house and I hated them. Well we decided to remove them, and is it a messy job. We aprayed them with water and then scraped them off. And no mateer how neat you have dust everywhere.

I knew one guy who put sheetrock on top of the popcorn rather than try to take it down. He lost a little heighth but it was a tall ceiling.

I had a feeling that it could get quite messy. I wouldn't want to just put sheetrock up though only because I don't have very tall ceilings.

Home Improvement

I wish I had thought of putting up new ceilings before we took all the popcorn off. It would have been alot easier and not quite as messy.

Re: Popcorn Ceilings

These few steps may help you removing popcorn ceilings
                1. Step 1
                  Remove all furniture from the room. Put down drop cloths or plastic to catch the mess and protect the floor.
                2. Step 2
                  Remove light fixtures from the ceiling when working; this makes it easier to work and helps you avoid accidental damage.
                3. Step 3
                  Set up a folding ladder or rolling scaffolding at the appropriate height for the room.
                4. Step 4
                  Choose a drywall joint knife of the broadest width that you can handle without tiring too rapidly. (Trying to use a blade that's too wide for your physical limits can lead to gouged ceilings!)
                5. Step 5
                  Hold the knife against the ceiling at an angle of approximately 45 degrees or a little less, and push it away from you with a strong, even stroke. Use this planing motion to scrape away the ceiling texture. It may take several passes over the same area to get it smooth.
                6. Step 6
                  Keep scraping until you've removed nearly all the texture and the entire ceiling is as smooth as scraping can achieve.
                7. Step 7
                  Sand the entire area with a medium-grit drywall sandpaper. (You can buy or rent a sanding pad attached to a long pole. This allows you to work while standing on the floor.)
                8. Step 8
                  Give the ceiling a second sanding with a fine-grit drywall sand paper.
                9. Step 9
                  Inspect the ceiling closely. If you find gouges or other rough spots, you'll need to fill them in with drywall joint compound, allow them to dry, and sand the area again.

Hope it works

Great instructions popcorn thank you!

Does sound like an awful lot of work, hate them myself. We had them in my mum and dad's previous house years ago (we moved in 1989) and they were so ugly.
                    Northern Ireland Property

My mom's home was built during the popcorn ceiling trend. My suggestion is to have your popcorn ceiling tested for the presence of asbestos. If you wanted to take the popcorn ceiling down yourself, the cost would be be minimal. And if you decide to hire a professional, the price would depend on several factors.
                      I found a good link about that: youtube.com/watch?v=OWmmjPhC5R4

Just ensure you prepare yourself for what will be a messy job!!
                        Looking for a large mortgage?

Every room in my house had a stippled ceiling. To get a great finish I had the whole thing plastered. It took about a week, and it was messy, but the end result I can't fault and looks totally transformed. Have you thought of plastering? It usually takes a week to dry out so best to do it when the weather is warm.

I had popcorn ceilings and eventually got them all replastered. The effort was so worth it, they look professional and clean. My ceilings needed to dry out for a week, so suggest you do them in warm weather if you get them done. It is less effort than scraping off the `popcorn' bits and the finish is excellent. Also remember you need to repaint, so scraping off is not necessarily going to give you a flat surface to paint on.

I hate popcorn ceilings! I'd have them tested for asbestos before attempting to remove them or fiddling with them in any way.