Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redoing Wood Floors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redoing Wood Floors

I can't make up my mind on whether I want to get new carpet or redo the wood floors. We have woodfloors already but the previous owner covered them up. We have looked at some of the floor and they look like they would need alot of work. Is it hard to redo floors? I have no clue.

I've redone a few floors myself, and I love wood so it was worth it. The pain is renting a sander, learning how to use it the first time, and then just buckling down and doing it. Then, there's the vacuuming and mopping followed by staining and then for-five coats of polyurethane. Plan on at least a week!

Comment

Wow, five coats of polyurthene. Just never thought it took that many coats. It does sound like a job but I am leaning towards doing it. I to love hardwood floors. Thanks for your suggestions I had no idea where to begin.

Comment

A lot of people don't put that many coats, but if you do some research you'll see why it's a good idea ...especially if the floor gets a lot of traffic. I also use oil based rather than water based sealant. It takes longer, but looks nicer and is much much harder when it's dry. The trick is to take your time ...there's just no way to make it a fast process.

Comment

It isn't necesarily hard to redo floors in my opinion. It can be time consuming depending on what needs done. I am partial to hardwood floors though.

Comment

I'd prefer carpeted floors myself but the only problem with that is the time you spend cleaning after it. Stains are very difficult problems to handle.
            Last edited by juol7; 27-02-2007, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Re: Redoing Wood Floors

I have to say that its latest generation and everyone wants to get beautiful house or wants to renovate old house according to the latest trend and fashion.There are many types of flooring but wood flooring is better than all because its very cheap and beautiful and durable...

Comment

I do agree with Jack, I think you should go for wood flooring as they are better than carpet floor and also cheap and durable.

Comment

redo the wood floor.
                  better consult some wood flooring experts or ask some local "trusted" company (ask neighbors or local community)

Comment

I think you should go for wood flooring because if you buy carpet then it is difficult to clean them so wood flooring is best option as it is durable as well as cheap. Now it all depends on you what you want.
                    Man And Van Sherborne | Johnson's of Shaftesbury

Comment

You can also use wood panel vinyl and they look like wood but better on water and good if you have pets.

Comment

Working...
                      X