Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Kitchen - Where to start?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kitchen - Where to start?

Hi,

My husband and I are about to start on an entire new kitchen. We do not have a large budget but will not be able to do the work ourselves (pregnancy). I just don't know where to start. Do we just go into a kitchen shop and tell them how much we have to spend or should we do our own research? If so, can anyone recommend any sites?

I guess what I need to know is where do we start? In particular we don't want to get ripped off and/or pay over the odds.

Thanks in advance,
    Fran

Hi Fran, and welcome to the HomeMove forums.

Well, you do exactly what you would normally - you shop around, get an idea of what you would like vs what would be practical, get different sets of quotations together - and then calmly in the privacy of your own home, you make a decision together without any sales people around.

Comment

New kitchen

There is another option, look at re-newing just the tops and doors if the units are still in good condition. The local DIY places usually have doors and tops available and you can get fitters from the newspapers or perhaps the chap at your local B&Q could give you the name of someone

Comment

We B&Q'd it for a 5 bedroom detatched and it cost us around £1000 i think - although we did fit it ourselves.

Looks fantabulous - Check it out! Luxury rooms to rent in Solihull

Comment

Re: New Kitchen - Where to start?

When you are considering the most inexpensive kitchen renovation ideas, the first thing that comes in mind is the kitchen painting. As per your wish, you can try various faux painting techniques like sponging, ragging, color washing and stippling. One thing that you need to take care of while doing kitchen painting is to hire only an expert painter who is skilled enough to paint the kitchen in the most stylish way, else instead of making the whole kitchen décor, you will end up destroying it. Colorful and pattern tiles in contrast with the kitchen painting also helps boosting the kitchen décor. Interestingly, you can use tiles too in an inexpensive way by just using them at the backsplash or behind the stove area.

Cabinet Resurfacing Another reasonable way to improve the look of the kitchen is cabinet resurfacing.This is undoubtedly one of the easiest and most economical ways to redo your kitchen. If your budget doesn’t allow you to spend too much on a kitchen remodelling,then tips like changing the whole cabinet handles, knobs will work wonder. Also, give your kitchen a stylish design by removing the cabinet doors that are no longer in trend and the best thing about it is that it can be done with minimal expenses.

Kitchen Lighting
          Kitchen lighting forms yet another important aspect of a kitchen redo. There are unlimited options when it comes to do kitchen lighting in an inexpensive way. Just be a little experimental and use any of the four main lighting types for your kitchen.
          * Create a feeling of openness by using natural lighting from large windows and skylights in your kitchen.
          * You can also try out task lighting, wherein you can put lights in the main task areas like under the cabinet.
          * General Lighting is the third way of kitchen lighting in an economical way, where you can simply put ceiling mounted lights or wall bracketed lights.
          * Lastly, try out the accent lighting, which can be done by putting incandescent light bulbs or LEDs in the kitchen.

Enjoy

Comment

Working...
          X