Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would new windows and doors add value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would new windows and doors add value?

We are hoping to move next year, and are decorating at the moment. We are considering having new windows and doors fitted, but are concerned that we may not get the money we spend on them back, when we do sell the house. The property is nine years old, and currently has wooden windows, which are starting to look a little worn.
    Any advise would be very welcome, thank you.

I think when upgrading a house, the value comes in two potential forms:

1. Direct investment in value
    2. Increase speed of sale

I think if the frames may put off buyers, then you may be looking at a slower sales process, or else buyers haggling the replacement price out of the value you're trying to market at anyway.

I personally think that anything that may help improve the speed of a sale has to be a positive thing.

Comment

Could you not maintain what you have and get it all painted?

What would you go for? Brown or white UPVC??

How many doors and windows are you thinking?

Comment

If you have someone come's and look at the house and likes it but comments on the windows and doors offer to have them done but if not why waste the money? You might have new doors and the new owner might not like them and change them anyway, just make sure the windows are double glazed because if there not that really puts people off.
        www.rpbrelocation.co.uk

Comment

Hello Lincslady,

If you look at selling your house from an energy efficiency point of view (as this is becoming an increasingly important factor for people when choosing property) then purchasing windows and doors that are the most energy efficient and keep the heat within the envelope of the building could be advisable. However, with you moving out of the property in a year i would be unsure if the value this would add to your property would cover your initial outlay.

John
          www.eviee.co.uk

Comment

Re: Would new windows and doors add value?

I think doors and windows always help in giving a good look to your house and makes it a much better place to be in. I would suggest you to go by adding more doors and windows its value will definitely increase.

Comment

I would update the doors and windows if it were me. The property will be nicer to live in as long as you keep it (which should be a factor!) and chances are that if you think it needs an update, buyers will too. It will hence be easier and quicker to sell.

Let us know what you decide!

Comment

It depends on how bad they are, I would replace them or at the very least give thema fresh coat of paint or varnish. Those are the sort of things that people notice when buying a house and the little things count.

Comment

Repairing or replacing windows and doors can not only save you heating and cooling costs, but will greatly increase the value of your home.

Comment

New windows and doors will always add value to any property, not to mention save on energy costs....Just ask an estate agent.

Comment

Yes, of course new windows and doors always add or increase the value to house. But it on you how you make it possible like now a days various new design windows and doors existing in the market so you can go through them.
                      Last edited by Lauren Addis; 23-07-2013, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Doors are the first attraction of home. As the property is about nine years old so I think you have to purchase or repair old windows and doors because only then it will be in the condition to sell.
                        Man And Van Sherborne | Johnson's of Shaftesbury

Comment

Yes, it can add value to your house. Yet, buyers will not only look at doors and windows but the whole looks of house.

Comment

I would be tempted just to touch up the ones you already have - but if they're in a really bad state it might be worth replacing them as doors and windows are definitely things buyers consider.

Comment

I think that if you find a way to get energy-smart investments, it is always going to look great for a prospective buyer. While I do not think that anything is going to provide you with the same ‘bang for your buck’ than a kitchen or a bathroom would, I think that it would be a smart investment overall that does not have to cost too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X