Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ways to make a room appear larger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ways to make a room appear larger

besides putting up mirrors, what ways do you know can make a room appear larger? thanks...

Oddly enough, if the room is an interior room with no windows, painting it a dark color will make it appear larger. I once read that in a Terrance Conran book and didn't believe it until I tried it. Worked like a charm.

Comment

I presume the reverse is true when windows are present? It seems that pale walls and a couple of good mirrors are superb for making light and airy rooms even bigger.

Comment

Yup. One of my tricks if I've got several rooms to do which all flow together is to buy a gallon of each of the paint colors on a paint family chart ...usually there are five. That way you can do one room darker and then the next room in a much lighter color. Because the family of color is the same, it always works.

Comment

thanks for those suggestions..i did some researching too and most of what i've read say that painting your walls a light color will make your room visually larger...they probably overlooked the case of rooms with no windows...

another tip they said is to have a dark flooring, and a lighter color for the ceiling compared to your walls...also, they said that sometimes, setting your furniture diagonally in the room may do the trick since you get to see your room in an angle instead of in a straight line when you're just facing a side of your room...

Comment

Can make a room significantly bigger and the more mirrors you can use without ruining the d├ęcor the better. You could for example use mirror tiles all along one wall or one big mirror as a centre piece

Comment

Isn't the way you arrange furniture and the style flooring also a way to make a room look bigger than it is?

Comment

Yes, fitnessk, it is. There are all sorts of tricks that are great to try. Moving furniture around is the cheapest and quickest way to find out. Someone mentioned furniture on the diagonal. That's one thing I just won't try as I hate the way it looks. There's always a corner with nothing in it! LOL.

Comment

I've read an article that says if you want to use big size furniture, use them sparingly and place it the corner. This can help add space to your home.

Comment

I'm a big believer in using furniture that is in proportion to the room size. I know we all like big over stuffed furniture because it's comfy but if you have a cottage with small rooms, it just won't work. There are alot of furniture manufacturers who have realized this and are making the same styles but scaled down for smaller spaces. I think that's grreat.

Comment

i read one amusing suggestion which was to pull all your furniture arounda foot away from the wall. This makes it look like you have too much room to play with and arten't cramming the furtniture into the nooks and crannies. I think its a load of rubbish myself, but haven't tried it.

Comment

paint and furniture does the trick

Comment

Don't keep heavy things in the room,because they occupy more space.

Comment

Maybe paint the room using a light colour. Put less stuff in it!
                            Government Authorised Property Real Estate Agents in Kefalonia, Greece.

Comment

White Ceiling

Whatever colour you paint the walls make sure it is light. Also paint the ceiling white too, this helps.
                              Your Mortgage Quote

Comment

Working...
                              X