Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mildew in the basement.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mildew in the basement.

    As mentioned in a previous post i just bought a home. Ive noticed that my basement has a mildew smell. Its below ground level and looks like it once had a problem with flooding. What is the best way to remove the faint order of mildew? Should i bleach the floor or put in a air filter?

  • #2
    Did you also have a radon test done in the basement? I'd do that first, but you may need an air filter and a dehumidifier. Also, if there's a lot of seepage (you'll know with spring rains) if you have to have a pump. I had one old house with a basement that seeped, but it wasn't bad enough to put in special equipment. But it had windows and a door to the outside so I could also let it dry out on warmer days.

    Comment


    • #3
      Whats a radon test and why do i need one? Where do i get one? Ive never heard of that before.

      Comment


      • #4
        Radon is a nasty element that's prevalent in some areas of the country and not in others. Often, the test for it is part of the inspection of the house when the water supply is tested as a part of environmental things.
        YOu can buy kits and have it done. Again, it depends on part of the country.

        Comment


        • #5
          palefrost, is it possible to get a surveyor in? Obviously, I have no idea of whether there's an issue or not - but if there is a damp problem then the sooner its identified and treated then the better for all.

          Comment


          • #6
            Radon is a natural gas that is produced when uranuim decays and becomes radium - when radium decays it becomes radon.It has no taste,
            smell or colour. It only becomes dangerous when high concentration levels build up in enclosed spaces.

            Your problem is more likely to a culmination of problems that you have alreadt recognised - below ground level, staining etc. Basements can be tanked to prevent moisture ingress but is expensive. If the space is not used for living area, try and ventilate as much as possible, naturally or mechanically. A good air flow tends to raise the moistute level to an acceptable level.

            Comment


            • #7
              That's the key, Tick ...ventilation. One house I bought had a high radon level in the basement, but even the radon testor said he realized the house had been closed up and not lived in for a couple of years. Sure enough, with just a little ventilation, we had it tested six months later and the level wasn't a problem.

              Comment


              • #8
                It's a good idea to react on that problem as soon as possible. These biological contaminants can cause health problems. Scientists call these airborne contaminants bioaerosols.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Radon builds up slowly, and without ventilation, yes, it can cause problems ...but a small amount doesn't usually bother people. I think we have to worry some about these bioaerosols, but within reason.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X