Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mis-leading Adverts by Estate Agents???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mis-leading Adverts by Estate Agents???

Hi, Can someone please explain to me why an Estate Agent is allowed to use the heading "Offers over £160,000" only to then include the following in the smaller print further down in the ad - "Guide price £175000 - £185000" ???????
    This is totally misleading. Obviously when searching for a property to buy we are going to search by the price we are prepared to pay so why waste people's time ? Why do they not stick to displaying the expected asking price? And does this not constitute an offence under the Trades Description Act?

Re: Mis-leading Adverts by Estate Agents???

175K is over 160K so how is that misleading ? Would it be an offence for someone to offer 150 ?

Comment

Originally posted by enna View Post
      Hi, Can someone please explain to me why an Estate Agent is allowed to use the heading "Offers over £160,000" only to then include the following in the smaller print further down in the ad - "Guide price £175000 - £185000" ???????
      Your question is really valid because they must not mislead the audience by printing such offensive material or sentences. I think the main reason is to grab the intentions of the viewer they write the extra ordinary promotions but if you read the whole bunch of contents and offers you may find the * given on the prices which leads you to the end of the paragraph or even at the end of the banner or brochure where the further instructions are given which does not match the above given details.

Comment

I see no misleading in the ads because it stated "over £160,000". Definitely it could high than £160,000 or even higher but it would never be lesser than £160,000.

Comment

Understand your frustration here, as the header is being designed to entice a buyer in with a budget of around 160k, but actually the guide is 10% above that.
          At least this tells you to be wary when dealing with this particular estate agent - which is good to know up front.
          It doesn't stop you offering around the 160k mark if you want though.
          Amie Gramlick
          www.howtohomebuy.co.uk
          HowToHomeBuy.co.uk
          Providing free, independent advice for home buyers

Comment

I see no misleading in the ad...got your point but it is not a big thing.

Comment

No big deal on this one. When it's over 160,000, that's fine. The only thing you should react to is something below the figures.

Comment

Working...
              X