Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealing with noisy neighbours and the effect on a house’s selling price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birb
    replied
    Re: Dealing with noisy neighbours and the effect on a house’s selling price

Sorry to hear of your plight .we had a similar problem ,solved it by getting up an hour after the parties finished ,say 6.00 am and playing our music loud and generally acting like they acted through the night .Stopped the parties straight away

Leave a comment:

• New Homes Expert
    replied

This is most home owner's worst nioghtmare.
    What can start off as a nice residential street can chnage quickly as homes change hands and buy-to-let brigade take over and rent them to housing benefit low lifes who have no thought for anyone.

Whatever action you take will hurt or cost you.
    Even if you did find a buyer you would have to tell the truth about the neighbour from hell. Start your own campaign it will be you that gets prosecuted.
    Sadly your home is only saleable to a buy-to-let "investor" and even he will not want his tennants unhappy!

Leave a comment:

• drhouse
    replied

This is a hugely difficult one and I have enormous sympathy for you. The fact is if there is a known issue it makes your property almost unsellable or you may be able to sell it at a vastly reduced price as a buy to let. If you didn't report it but told the estate agent about it they should advise buyers about it as a material fact - unfair as this sounds this is the instruction from Trading Standards. For example if say there has been a death or suicide in the property then buyers have to be made aware.
    Another option, if you could afford it, is to see what offer would be made from some of the quick buy companies. They will vary but can be around 20-25% below market value. The trouble is that if you complain now it can take ages for the council to get into gear and actually do something so the problem might not be resolved within a year. Maybe taking legal advice might help.

Leave a comment:

• Dealing with noisy neighbours and the effect on a house’s selling price

Hello All

I am seeking advice from any estate agents on the forum who may have experienced something similar to this problem.

The problem relates to the house that I live in (and which I cherish very much) and concerns all night music playing by an inconsiderate, anti-social neighbour and the fact that her landlord has refused to take any responsibility for what has happened.

The main points to the case are that for over the last three years we have had problems with all night music playing by our neighbour, both during the week and weekends. I have logged that there have been 21 occurrences so far. The neighbour is a thirty something single mum with three kids from separate partners who lives on benefits. She obviously does not have parties when her kids are with her but quite regularly she gets her kids to go with her family or their fathers so that she can have the house free. Then she has loud parties with big groups of men attending (it sounds like there are between 10 and 20 people sometimes judging by their voices). At the same time I have a daughter at primary school who needs a good nights sleep to function properly as does my wife and I who are both working (and paying taxes). Some of the noise making start at 11pm and finishes at 7am.

We have tried a number of things. Talking to her and trying to reason with her, trying to explain our position. But once that failed taking a tougher line, knocking on her door and complaining when the music was playing, which fell on deaf ears. I have also come close to being involved in a physical confrontation with some of her party goers.

You may be wondering why haven’t I just called the council’s environment health department who can do a lot to solve these problems? Well simply because we intend to move in a years time and any complaint by us will be registered on the system and can be picked up by any solicitors for prospective buyers. Based on research that we have done so far it seems that any complaint will have a big detrimental effect on the price that we could sell our property for. We would also have to declare the fact that we have complained about the neighbour in the selling documents.

It’s on this point that I am mostly writing about. Has any housing professional on this forum had experience of selling a property that had an anti-social neighbour with a history of playing loud music? Did the property eventually get sold and for what was the price reduction as rough percentage? Have you ever sold a property that had a neighbouring property that had a noise abatement order against it? Again what was the price reduction as rough percentage?

In case you wondering why we haven’t tackled the landlord about directly? Well the truth is that we have but he’s a landlord of the worst kind. He owns a letting agency nearby which is not a member of an organisations like ARLA or the Property Ombudsman so an individual cannot make a complaint against him via a professional body. The tenants home is in great disrepair and I doubt if the landlord has visited the property in the last five years. The tenant rents privately from the landlord and not via a council or housing association.

The landlord has always refused to talk to us directly and when we have spoken to the landlord’s agent we have generally been lied too and fobbed off. And we have pushed the agent to respond in some kind the agent claimed that “We were harassing her”.

So this is what we are dealing with. If you have any information about the sort of price reduction that might occur as a result of us taking action and getting the environmental health department involved please let us know, as we are trying to decide what to do.

Also feel free to suggest any course of action which could help us with our problem.

My thanks in advance.

Wolverine
Working...
X