Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with estate agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with estate agent

Hello,

My estate agent, whom I distrust immensely, noted the 3 numbers from the back of my credit card, on a piece of paper which he has a photocopy of, when I was paying him for another service in relation to the sale of my house. Now, I am not sure as to the legality of this approach as I thought the 3 numbers on the back of the card were to be used only at the time of transaction. The prejudice suffered comes from the fact that 3 weeks later some amounts which the estate agent cannot explain were deducted from the credit card. I noticed the 'mistakes' as they were large enough to be noticed! I cancelled the transaction via my credit card company and the estate agent apologised citing an 'error'.

What is my recourse in this situation? Trading standards?. It is not the end of the world but it was a significant amount 400 pounds sterling in 4 transactions. This is far from the sole problem that I have had with this estate agent. I want to sell my house but not at any cost.. The process of house selling is bewildering for lots of us who only have to face it once or twice in our lives, but I would like to be sure in my rights, and my aim is to keep with the same estate agent despite the mistrust, but I would like to know on what would be the course of action should this problem repeat itself.

Thanks

Last edited by Anonymouse; 17-07-2012, 10:09 AM.

Re: Problem with estate agent

Once is a mistake - 4 times is gross negligence if not actual dishonesty. I don't do any transactions via credit card so can't advise you there but suggest you call your credit card provider and ask if the EA is acting correctly.
    However, if you distrust your EA anyway, plus this I would be off somewhere else as soon as possible.

Comment

Working...
    X