Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying hard to find a job in properties. I need your precious advices.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying hard to find a job in properties. I need your precious advices.

Hello everyone,
    I'm 26, italian, and I live in West London. I have a master in International Business Management.
    Since the end of last year (after I finished uni), I tried hard to get a job in estate agencies around London, mainly applying online to the big names, but unfortunately with no success.
    For this reason I decided to get some work experience in a couple of offices in London (not related with Real Estate) and improve my CV rather than staying home and wasting my time. Unfortunately working in these places never gave me satisfaction and the main ambition of my life still remained the same : working in properties.

I genuinely like houses, especially here in the UK. Everytime I go out I'm always attracted by the houses I come accross, especially in certain areas.
    I see and I would love to become competent of their value, style, location, structure and many other things and details.
    Probably this might not necessarely mean that I would enjoy to let or sell them, but at the moment I can't wait to experience the job and see how it goes.

Like I said, I applied to many websites of the big names in London. None of them got back to me. Foxtons was the only one to call me back for an interview, but unfortunately they didn't take me. Now I can see that at the time I was so unexperienced, I still had loads of things to learn, and it litterally was the very first job interview I had here in the UK.

As a person, I consider myself to be very humble and honest. I'm not arrogant and I'm not the kind of person that would make life hard to my colleagues in order to succeed in the competition. I'm not selfish and very respectful of the other people around me. With customers I would be true. I would not lie in order to desperately sell or let. I would not take advantage of anyone. It's not my thing, and I would feel really bad.
    Not to sound arrogant, but phisically I'm also quite nice looking. I always present myself really well, and everywhere I go.

This is me and I don't know if these kind of characteristics are the right ones for a good estate agent.
    I've always been told that people in this world are particulary ruthless, arrogant, disonest and with no qualification.
    I would be really grateful if you could give me some precious advices. Some tips in order to finally get my first job.
    I really wanna start and be part of this environment. I'm also frustrated that this is not happened yet, but I will keep on trying.
    Thank you
    Last edited by jeagent; 30-05-2012, 05:54 PM.

Re: Trying hard to find a job in properties. I need your precious advices.

What sort of job in the industry do you actually want to do?

It's just that you say that you are humble and honest - but estate agents are ultimately salespeople, where humility is anything but a welcome quality!

Comment

Thanks very much for replying. I was wondering why still nobody did it.

I would start in lettings, in a trainee position where someone could teach me all I need to know of the subject and of the job.
      I'm keen to learn, curious and very motivated.

I'm every single day on zoopla, rightmove and findaproperty.

Comment

I would be really grateful if I could get some advice on how to start and what to do.
        At the moment I've applied a lot to names like Foxtons, Hamptons, Dexters, Haart, Barnard Marcus, Lauristons, Chersterton Humberts, Faron Sutaria, Northfields, Lauristons, Douglas and Gordon, Winkworth, Marsh and Parsons etc..
        Apart from the first, none of them called me for an interview.
        I understand that I've never done this job before and there will be so many out there with my same age and much more related experience, but there should be a way for me to start..

Comment

Try looking in Italy?

Comment

Well, it's a completely different story in Italy.
            Now I'm based in London and this is where I would like to do the job.

Comment

Working...
            X