Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Becoming an estate agent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming an estate agent

Hi I am currently studying at college on a course in construction and property management and with it been nearly half way through I have started to consider future career paths. I have always had a interest in property from a very young age which has lead me to contemplating a career as an estate agent. I have a driven personality and excel under pressure. I have a very mature attitude even though still been fairly young and will happily accept a lot of responsibility. Also I can easily fit into a team but also I can be very competitive which using these mean i can fit into many different working environments.
    I would love some information about careers as estate agent from first hand account of the life a estate agent through to information about such things as Workload, Training needed, Qualifications needed and Salary.
    Any information would be very gratefully received.
    Many thanks.
    Josh.

Re: Becoming an estate agent

Originally posted by J hague View Post
    Hi I am currently studying at college on a course in construction and property management and with it been nearly half way through I have started to consider future career paths. I have always had a interest in property from a very young age which has lead me to contemplating a career as an estate agent. I have a driven personality and excel under pressure. I have a very mature attitude even though still been fairly young and will happily accept a lot of responsibility. Also I can easily fit into a team but also I can be very competitive which using these mean i can fit into many different working environments.
    I would love some information about careers as estate agent from first hand account of the life a estate agent through to information about such things as Workload, Training needed, Qualifications needed and Salary.
    Many thanks.
    Josh.
    Anyone wanting to be an estate agent in the current climate has to be brave or daft. Anyway it can be exciting, boring, nerve jangling, depressing, confidence boosting, scary, pleasurable, disgusting and that is only a very small part of it.

Firstly qualifications. You need none, zip, nada. Quite shocking isn't it. However if you want to do it properly join a good firm who will commit to training you. Some of the nationals are really good at this but so are some independents. You need to speak to them to see what they would offer. There are NVQs available. The NAEA - National associations provide a good course for a recognised qualification but it is not cheap - best scenario is you find an employer to pay for it.

Workload varies. In December I spent my time looking at You Tube, I still am but much less so now as it is picking up a bit. However, I am the boss so can do what I like as an employee you will be given loads of pointless tasks !

Salary - depends where you are. Most will pay a basic (low) + commission. When I was employed with a national I made a fortune in commission but the market was good. If that had been last year I couldn't have survived on a basic salary. Bear that in mind. Actually i made more money employed than with my own company but that was my choice.

Pros - lots of variety, meet loads of different people, can be exciting - I still get a buzz from matching the right house to the right person.
    Cons - Can be boring, meet some not so nice people, have to look at some minging properties and then try to sell them.

However, if you see Estae Agency as a fast track to getting cheap properties to develop .....NO. You will be found out and your name will be mud before you know it.

Although I love what I do if I was starting out right now I wouldn't do it. The market is too tough.

Comment

Many thanks for info. Going to have to have a long think before decide anything, moveing in a few weeks and after that I am going to try to get some placement in a estate agents to get a taste of the industry before makeing any decisions.

Comment

I am also looking into starting a career as an estate agent! Having studied for 2 degrees and worked for a construction consultancy, this is a change of career path really.

I believe there is the technical awards that you can study for and then become a member of the ARLA if you want to get into lettings or property management.

I do hope to see some more comments coming!

Comment

I would say some experience is most definitely important, you learn loads just by viewing and doing in that environment. Reading up on property and finance is a good idea and keeping abreast of the economic climate etc can only help.
          Looking for a large mortgage?

Comment

If there's one thing I've learnt in any sales environment, especially sellings services, is that its not so much about your expertise in the area but about knowing whats good about yours and bad about others (even ona very basic level) and then alot of the gift of the gab. That'll get you started, then you've got closing,questioning &listening but you'll get that in your induction training so dont worry too much about that really.
            All the qualities you described sound sweet as a nut. But can you talk for england and just chat crap? R u outgoing in NEW situations? If you answer yes to those two then without a doubt, you mate, are goin to make money. Personally i learnt the confidence however i could already chat for england but only really around friends so i hope you do t tale me as being demeaning, just imformative in a harsh, gritty truth kinda way lol
            Last edited by CCLH91; 11-04-2011, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Hi J hague,
              You are looking for career in real estate, it’s great. Very good opportunities in UK.This career gives you innovative ideas, confidence, and not boring if you come with positive attitude. Important thing is that in this field daily you can meet different kind of people that will help you in understanding their thinking, way of talking. This will help in professional as well as personal life also. I have been working in this field from long time. When I was started at that I was thinking for the same. But now I am well settled and happy. Sometimes I had faced some problems also, but in same time I had found the solution. So don’t worry . Start with great energy.

Comment

Hi all

Thankyou very much for all the information and advice.

I have recently got a job at a medium size estate agents which i am currently doing aswell as a college course in constuction and the built enviroment. I am really enjoying it and wouldnnt want to do anything different at the moment although i am concidering chartered surveying in the future. I deal mostly with viewings and go on my boss on vauations while i also spend alot of time with the office to myself which as spring comes seems to be getting alot busyer.

Jamie

Comment

would suggest work experience comes before anything else, even if it is a saturday job at your local estate agents

Comment

Originally posted by J hague View Post
                    Many thanks.
                    Josh.
                    Maybe I missed it, but where are you based Josh?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Owen View Post
                      would suggest work experience comes before anything else, even if it is a saturday job at your local estate agents
                      Hi yeah it is more work experience than anything else wouldnt call it a job to be exact but it is defignately a experience.....

Comment

Best Job I've ever had.

Started after an illness had to get a desk job, had a run in many moons ago with an agent who lied everytime he opened his mouth, ended up not buying a property and renting, i eventually put my name on the councils waiting list and now have a 4 bedroom house.

Possibly one of very few agents who dont actually own a property.

Love meeting people and selling their homes, met some funny, crazy and downright lunatics over the years but still the best job i've had

Its not hard, just be yourself and dont listen to the fella you think is full of S**t, i didnt and have been manager of my office for 8 years

I know plenty of people who became agents for the fast car, cheap deals and money

None of them are agents anymore

Good Luck

THC

Comment

Hi

If you're serious about making real estate investing career a great triumph, you need to heed for myriad real estate training courses that may complement what you aimed of. The undisputed truth unrivalled in real estate market these days highlighted the great number of people turning to real market investing.

Visualize and Develop Your Plan. Set your goals. Include in your goals how much is your targeted leads each week, month or even years. Being aware of the total leads you want to accumulate each passing day which leads you to keep track of the possible opportunities on the long run. Having a carefully planned strategic blueprint helps you target you leads. Your plan can assess your resources, along with the way you formulate every course of action to take and keep you on track.re are some people who hit the mark of being triumphant and made a mint for such industry.
                          Michelle Alden- Property to Rent

Comment

I may have some roles available sone if you would like tom gain experience.

Pm me your CV and an overview about yourself.

Antony

Comment

Hi Antony sorry took a long time to reply but haven’t been on for a while. Will happily send you my Cv if could supply me email address on pm? A bit about myself I am currently 18 and grew up always wanting to do something in property/construction. When I left school I went on to study for a National Diploma in Construction and the built environment which I am currently in my second year of having completed the first up to distinction level. I decided at about this time that I would be interested in becoming a Estate Agent so with little chance of finding work I decided the best way to go would be to look for work experience simply by going round local estate agents asking. After been unsuccessful at first I was given a number of one of the directors who offered me the chance of a interview after been successful he offered me 2 days a week placement which fitted perfectly around college. I did this voluntary for four months until the work unfortunately dried up although during my time I gained allot of experience in many different areas from general office work and dealing with customers to showing prospective buyers around houses. I really enjoyed this and it made me decide that Estate Agency would be the career choice for me as I enjoy working towards goals especially in a team environment as well as having a professional attitude even though my young age.
                              Josh

Comment

Working...
                              X