Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have to pay my agent when I de-instruct ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to pay my agent when I de-instruct ?

My property has been up for sale with a local agent since April this year. We've had a few viewings, no offers, I personally don't think this agent is doing much at all. They rarely give feedback, I have to chase them for everything. They didn't present my property very well at all.

I want to go with another agent, I've looked at the contract with the current agent, I understand I have to give 28 days notice, but it also says I will have to pay £299 to cover costs. This doesn't seen fair to me. No sale, no fee.... so what is £299 if not a fee ?

Re: Do I have to pay my agent when I de-instruct ?

Originally posted by scarlett423 View Post
    My property has been up for sale with a local agent since April this year. We've had a few viewings, no offers, I personally don't think this agent is doing much at all. They rarely give feedback, I have to chase them for everything. They didn't present my property very well at all.

I want to go with another agent, I've looked at the contract with the current agent, I understand I have to give 28 days notice, but it also says I will have to pay £299 to cover costs. This doesn't seen fair to me. No sale, no fee.... so what is £299 if not a fee ?
    The £299 will be a marketing fee and most agents have something like that, the majority taking it up front. These are to cover the costs expended on maketing such as a for sale board, listing on websites (if you were on rightmove that is really expensive), brochures, etc. You could speak to them and try to negotiate it down but I don't hold out much hope, As regards the notice period, I have a 14 day clause on my agreements but never hold a client to it because if they are not happy there is no point in keeping it on. However, I never waive a marketing fee, as I have incurred these expenses, unless they have a genuine reason for complaint.

Comment

The agent I used to work for did not charge when deinstructed, despite advertising and admin costing money. However it is fair not to charge if the customer is unhappy with how their case is being handled. Next time makesure you enquire any costs you incur when you deinstruct to avoid this happening again.
      Looking for a large mortgage?

Comment

With conventional sales i do not charge clients when they have withdrawn their property from the market. I only charge when they have accepted an offer and instructed solicitors, which goes towards newspaper advertising and property portals. It also depends what is written in the contract, but even so speaking to your agent about these expenses may be worth your while.

Comment

Working...
        X