Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vendor won't let viewers in unless they are on the market

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendor won't let viewers in unless they are on the market

We're interested in viewing a house which has been for sale for approx 3 years. Our own house is not for sale but if the right house came along, we would be interested in selling in order to slightly reduce our mortgage. The estate agent handling the house we're interested in viewing tells us that the vendors will not allow any viewers to view the property unless the viewer's own house is on the market. I can see their point to some extent but it seems an unusual position to take in a stagnant market like this. Has anyone come across this problem before? We are not keen to pay an estate agent to put our own house on the market (£250 initial, non-refundable fee seems to be the going rate) just to see this house - what if we don't like it? It may put us in a more competitive position as far as the market is concerned but, as I say, it's not exactly a buoyant market. Anyone got any thoughts?

Re: Vendor won't let viewers in unless they are on the market

Originally posted by jc2000 View Post
    We're interested in viewing a house which has been for sale for approx 3 years. Our own house is not for sale but if the right house came along, we would be interested in selling in order to slightly reduce our mortgage. The estate agent handling the house we're interested in viewing tells us that the vendors will not allow any viewers to view the property unless the viewer's own house is on the market. I can see their point to some extent but it seems an unusual position to take in a stagnant market like this. Has anyone come across this problem before? We are not keen to pay an estate agent to put our own house on the market (£250 initial, non-refundable fee seems to be the going rate) just to see this house - what if we don't like it? It may put us in a more competitive position as far as the market is concerned but, as I say, it's not exactly a buoyant market. Anyone got any thoughts?
    I would always try to persuade a vendor to allow any viewer but if they say no then it's no and I have to respect that unless they are discriminating against people for ethnic reasons. It could be they have had lots of viewers who are wasting their time and that can be very frustrating.

Comment

Re: Vendor won't let viewers in unless they are on the market

I have never come across that before. With that attitude, I'm not surprised the house you want to view has been on the market for 3 years!

Comment

Working...
      X