Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old or new school of thought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old or new school of thought?

I'm looking to start a new estate agency and really need help on the name. I want to get away from what seems to be the lazy/typical double barrel name which most agents go for.

I have come up with...

What Estate.

Would love to get peoples feedback on this please.

Re: Old or new school of thought?

It's missing the question mark.

Comment

It sounds too much like "What a state" !!!

Not too good for your marketing efforts I would guess.

www.thomasdobner.co.uk

Comment

We want to break the mould - get away from the typical EA image. Fat cats who do nothing for a lot of money.

Thought What Estate would show a side of self deprecation in an industry steeped in delusions of grandeur?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by New company name? View Post
          We want to break the mould - get away from the typical EA image. Fat cats who do nothing for a lot of money.

Thought What Estate would show a side of self deprecation in an industry steeped in delusions of grandeur?!?!
          Just do the job properly, and worry about that rather than fretting about a fancy name.

You're trying to "show a side of self deprecation in an industry steeped in delusions of grandeur"...... sorry, but how 'What Estate' (with or without a question mark) demonstrates self deprecation is totally beyond me.

Comment

I agree with Googler, the name of the business is important to a degree but even the most well considered name will not make the company an overnight success in itself. You could spend thousands on a branding package from a marketing company, but it will not make you stand out from the crowd without the service to go with it.

Making an instant success of a new estate agency business is likely to be impossible, the public are naturally suspicious and wary of EAs, and no matter what you call your business this will always be the same.

You must distinguish youself by the services you provide, and you must be patient in waiting for word to spread about your company.

I understand your play on words is intended to be a self-depreciating (wink, wink, I know what you think of estate agents) type pun, but just think about the subliminal messages it sends.

Do you really want prospective vendors hearing you say "Good morning "What a State", can I help you?" as soon as you answer their call?

First impressions last!!

www.thomasdobner.co.uk

Comment

Oh, I see..... it's MEANT to read as "What A State" ......

In that case, take all I said back. The idea stinks. To high heaven.

In the words of one American comedy script - "It blows. Big chunks"

Look at THE most successful Estate Agencies (in the UK) or Real Estate Companies (in the world) and look at their names.......... do you see any puns like this?

Comment

It could be worse - it could've been Your Estate and that would have been great on the phone ! Sadly though the responses are right. People do have a sense of humour bypass when it comes to property.

Comment

According to Bloomberg Business Week in 2007, the 20 most popular 'Real Estate websites (which may share their names with their businesses) were

realtor.com
                  realtytrac.com
                  homegain.com
                  rent.com
                  remax.com
                  realestate.yahoo.com
                  zillow.com
                  apartments.com
                  ziprealty.com
                  move.com
                  century21.com
                  homes.com
                  servicemagic.com
                  forrent.com
                  hud.gov
                  housevalues.com
                  realestate.msn.com
                  coldwellbanker.com
                  apartmentguide.com
                  foreclosurestore.com

This is probably the most popular in the USA, but - any lessons on naming here?

Comment

Working...
                  X