Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

Hi there! I'm seriously thinking of setting up a new national business and need some advice from the forum.

I need to know if there is a network of people who can help me visit the client, take photos and measurements and do a floor plan. I am intrigued to know where the online estate agents get this kind of expertise from.

Can some kind soul give me some advice here?

Thank you.

Originally posted by Homeseller View Post
    I need to know if there is a network of people who can help me visit the client, take photos and measurements and do a floor plan. I am intrigued to know where the online estate agents get this kind of expertise from.

Can some kind soul give me some advice here?

Thank you.

There is a network - Estate Agents. As to where they get their 'expertise' from they either don't have any or have been estate agents themselves and think that being online alone is enough. It should be remembered that the internet is a tool in selling a house (albeit a very important one) but it is not enough on its own.

Comment

Expertise in what? Taking measurements, taking photos or generating the floorplan?

All seem fairly straightforward to me.

What's your 'national business' actually going to do? What's your business model?

Or are you really asking "How do online estate agents find their clients?"

Comment

No, I'm not asking how online estate agents get their clients and, no, I'm not looking for full estate agency services either. I'm looking for exactly what I said : a network (if there is one) to simply take photos, measurements and a description. I suspect that the answer lies with the estate agency photo people (3d tours etc.). Any help or steering in the right direction would be much appreciated.

I'm sorry for the vagueness of what it is I am trying to do but I'm sure you understand that I'm trying to keep that a secret until it's ready to be revealed!

Comment

You want us to help you, but your business is such a closely-guarded secret that you won't give us a hint as to what you want us to help with?

If you're looking to provide a countrywide network of people who would be available to estate agents, offering a photo/measure/floorplan service for a set fee, I think you're idea will be a non-starter.... IMHO

Or is your secret idea based on another business model?

I get the impression that most of the online estate agents rely on their clients to provide photos, measurements etc. Since the primary reason people list their properties on these sites is NOT TO SPEND ANY MONEY, they're unlikely to want to pay you to send your local rep round to do this for them
          Last edited by googler; 12-03-2009, 07:00 PM. Reason: thought about it some more....

Comment

Originally posted by googler View Post
            You want us to help you, but your business is such a closely-guarded secret that you won't give us a hint as to what you want us to help with?

If you're looking to provide a countrywide network of people who would be available to estate agents, offering a photo/measure/floorplan service for a set fee, I think you're idea will be a non-starter.... IMHO

Or is your secret idea based on another business model?

I get the impression that most of the online estate agents rely on their clients to provide photos, measurements etc. Since the primary reason people list their properties on these sites is NOT TO SPEND ANY MONEY, they're unlikely to want to pay you to send your local rep round to do this for them
            Trust me. You don't need to know what my business model is or what it is that I am trying to do. I'm not trying to set up as a network, I just want to know if one exists or if, in ALL cases, this is kept in house by estate agents i.e. it is never outsourced. Are you able to help me?

Comment

Any help then? Anyone? I'd be very grateful. Googler's gone quiet on me!

Comment

I replied to you less than two days ago. I don't live here, ya know!

Comment

Trust me. You don't need to know what my business model is or what it is that I am trying to do. I'm not trying to set up as a network, I just want to know if one exists or if, in ALL cases, this is kept in house by estate agents i.e. it is never outsourced. Are you able to help me?
                  There is no network that I am aware of and I never outsource. Can't see the benefit when we can do it in house.
                  Oh except once I commissioned a tour cos the client wanted it. Wouldn't choose to do it again though.

Comment

Originally posted by drhouse View Post
                    There is no network that I am aware of and I never outsource. Can't see the benefit when we can do it in house.
                    Oh except once I commissioned a tour cos the client wanted it. Wouldn't choose to do it again though.
                    Thanks a lot for replying DrHouse. Much appreciated. Just out of interest, did you have a bad experience with the outsourced tour?

Googler - yes, you responded. Lots of questions about what I'm up to but no help as far as I can see? I've seen your other posts and can see that you are experienced - why no help or advice? I'm just curious.

Comment

Thanks a lot for replying DrHouse. Much appreciated. Just out of interest, did you have a bad experience with the outsourced tour?

Googler - yes, you responded. Lots of questions about what I'm up to but no help as far as I can see? I've seen your other posts and can see that you are experienced - why no help or advice? I'm just curious.
                      I just have a 'thing' about virtual tours. You look at one and see all the rooms etc, it is very impressive but then you feel you've seen the house so what's the point in going to view. The reality is often very different. I like to put a few pics on as a taster and encourage people to come and see the reality. Sometimes a property just has the right feel which no amount of pictures will convey.

Also I have seen some tours that have been truly awful - out of focus and no help in attracting any buyers. The one I had was quite good and did justice to the property. It got loads of views but proportionately low numbers of viewers so most people were looking through curiosity. (In the end the buyer was someone who viewed before the tour was added)

Like googler I also wonder what you are intending to do. Freelancing perhaps?

Comment

Because I'm really struggling to appreciate what you're looking for. Honestly. I don't see where the question's coming from, don't see what answer you're looking for. Maybe it's just me.

This is why I ask the questions; to clarify what you're really after, then I provide some insight based on your answers, if I can.
                        Last edited by googler; 15-03-2009, 02:26 PM. Reason: added last line

Comment

It's a pretty straightforward question really. Let me try and frame it in another way to see if that makes better sense. If estate agents don't have their own staff to take pictures, measurements and a description of a property who would they outsource this to?

Sorry, I'm not sure if you're an estate agent anyway so you might not know but if anyone else does I'd be really grateful for your help.

Comment

It's a pretty straightforward question really. Let me try and frame it in another way to see if that makes better sense. If estate agents don't have their own staff to take pictures, measurements and a description of a property who would they outsource this to?

Sorry, I'm not sure if you're an estate agent anyway so you might not know but if anyone else does I'd be really grateful for your help.
                            That's more like it.

If the EAs don't have someone available to take pictures, measure the house and describe it, then I'd be wondering what they're doing in the business, as it seems this is a major part of the activity of 'estate agency'. If someone phones the agent up to ask about some aspect of the house, and nobody from the agency has been there, what do they say?

I'd suggest googling "photography services for estate agents" if you haven't done so already.... I can't imagine there's a network of these people, if there are any. Strikes me they'd probably be operating at the local level for their local agents. Why would you need a national 'network' of them?

Comment

Sorry for butting in, but why would an EA want to outsource something as simple as taking pictures, taking dimensions, etc? Surely, all it takes is the click of a button on a camera, click of the laser, etc?

I'm sure there'll be someone out there who would do it for a fee, especially during a recession...
                              www.propertyinvestmentleads.co.uk

"Exclusive deals for the serious investor"

Comment

Working...
                              X