Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Estate Agents: How Not to Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estate Agents: How Not to Act

Ok Im sure most of us here have had bad experiences with estate agents at some point in our lives, however I am sure there are some people who are yet to experience this joy

Anyway I thought I would post about my experience today just to show what estate agents can be like and why it is important to choose the right one, especially if you are looking to sell a property.

The estate agent in question is called Reeds Rains. I had been watching a property for several months and have seen the price gradually fall well below market value.

It's a repossession and does need some work but it's still a good buy. Anyway I decided to go and take a look last Saturday after the price was recently reduced further.

The property was ok, needed work as I said but had good potential. However I am a little unsure about it. Therefore I decided to call them to try to arrange another viewing.

The agent told me an offer had gone it but had not been accepted yet and asked if I would like to make an offer. I told him no I need to view the property another couple of times first and work out the cost of the work that needed doing.

His response to that was "Im not being funny but we cant do a load of viewings and then you not even put an offer in"

I replied "Im not being funny but I wont be pressured into making an offer and I need to view another couple of times"

His reply? "Ok mate dont get arsey with me"

At this point I should have probably hung up but I didnt I carried on trying to arrange a viewing.

I was then told the property was too far out for them (talking 15 min drive here) and they would only do viewings first thing in a morning or last thing in an afternoon as the guy viewing it can do it on in his way in to work or on his way home.

Great, looks like they are going to be very helpful then. Then the guy tried presurring me again, asking if I could just have one more viewing and then get a builder to pick up the keys and quote for the work. Errm, hello are you not listening? I wont be pressured in to a sale.

To cut a long story short I decided I didnt want to deal with an estate agent who couldnt be bothered to arrange a viewing unless it suited them perfectly. If they are like this now what will they be like during the sales process?

The result is I am walking away from a potentially good deal but the fact is I may have saved myself a lot of hassle by doing so and I also know there are plenty of other bargains around at the moment.

It's a good job it's a repossession (and this perhaps explains their attitude) because if I was the seller of that house and the agent was being rude to potential buyers and doing nothing to help the sale I would be fuming.

The moral of the story is never be afraid to walk away from a sale if there is something you are not happy with (including the agent) as it may end up saving you a lot of stress. If you are a seller make sure the agent is doing the job you are paying them to do.

Oh and another tip, if you ever find yourself in this situation and the property is also being marketed by another agent - do not tell the other agent you have already viewed it with someone else. As the commission should go to the agent that introduces you to the property most will not touch you if you have already viewed with a different agent.
    Free UK Property Investment Seminar

According to their website, their registered office is at;

St Trinity House,
    3-4 Kings Square,
    York,
    YO1 8ZH

If you feel strongly about it, rather than posting here, write to the customer services director, personnel director, or similar, c/o the above address, with a transcript of your post.

Send a courtesy copy to the line manager of the agent you spoke to. Phone the agent you spoke to ask for the name of his line manager. That'll spook him.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Googler, unfortunately I didnt catch the guys name. With hindsight I should have asked for it at the end of the call.

Still, it may be worth contacting their head office to see if this 15 minute drive is too far and only allowing a limited number of viewings is company policy.
      Free UK Property Investment Seminar

Comment

It sometimes happens - an agency is only as good as the frontline staff, and sometimes these are simply not the right people for the job.

I remember when buying my home a couple of years ago - during the boom - I tried to view a property, and had to cancel the first appointment - when I tried to arrange a second appointment, the estate agent basically made the point that they couldn't be bothered because it would be a hassle for them!

Comment

thats shocking!! Especially if it is for a repossesed property as the estate agent has a legal obligation to actively market the property until the point of exchange. Im sure their client wouldnt be impressed if they knew.

Comment

Again thats bad service but you are completely wrong when you say this - "Oh and another tip, if you ever find yourself in this situation and the property is also being marketed by another agent - do not tell the other agent you have already viewed it with someone else. As the commission should go to the agent that introduces you to the property most will not touch you if you have already viewed with a different agent"

The law states that the commission goes to the Agent who introduces THE SALE not THE PROPERTY. Theres a big difference.

Comment

Ridiculous behaviour, but I suppose the estate agent will lose out as much as anyone else - which makes the behaviour all the more puzzling.

Comment

Working...
              X