Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Find a Property OR Rightmove?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find a Property OR Rightmove?????

I have heard so many different opinions and right now am trying to cut back on costs!! (Credit Crisis) Which would you say you prefer....Rightmove or Find a Property?

In what context? Buying or selling?

On the assumption you mean 'listing my own property on one of these sites', I'd say;

Which one claims the highest visitor traffic?
    Which one has the larger number of properties IN YOUR AREA? We can't hazard a guess at this.

Which one is cheaper? (However, remember the adage - You get what you pay for, and you don't get what you don't pay for)

You may get wider exposure by going with an agent who already has a good online presence, and who also lists their properties on other portals like, or including, Rightmove

Up until recently, I wouldn't have even looked at Rightmove, because all that was showing on it for my area was the builders' developments; and just the bigger builders at that. There was no presence from the local sellers of pre-owned housing. What's currently on Rightmove in your area?

Comment

Rightmove hands down.

If you looking at advertising always ask what there "unique site visitors" are never "hits" as "hits" are not a true estimation of there site visitors.

Comment

Rightmove et al

Rightmove are top of the list but are expensive. To discourage leavers there is an even higher membership fee to rejoin. The best websites to use of course are the ones buyers know about and use to search for property. When times are good and commissions are flowing through the door - Estate Agents are only too happy to throw money in the direction of Rightmove. As one Estate Agent commented before the stranglehold in the property market - it's only one decent commission needed to pay Rightmove for the year! When money stops coming in through the door Houston has a problem. Rightmove don't like non payers and members are likely to get the order of the boot!

Comment

Rightmove every time.

Comment

... but depends on where you are in the country.

Whilst Rightmove may hold sway in England and Wales, it doesn't have the same presence in areas of Scotland.

Comment

Will the house be advertised via an estate agent?

Controversial I know but to me, Rightmove, Findaproperty are really just for tyrekickers.

The SERIOUS buyers pick up the phone and register their details with agents even if nothing on Rightmove or Findaproperty appeals. Wouldn't you?

Once properties "hit" the large portals, they're "old news" and the estate agent has probably already shown them to half a dozen of their most serious buyers.

If you're on with an estate agent and you want to keep costs low, just advertise on the agents own website only. The REAL buyers will find you there.

PS. I'm not an estate agent!!!

Comment

Decent website

Quite right. Couldnt put it better myself. Estate Agents should concentrate on their own website rather than plough money into listing on noticeboards like Rightmove. Its an order of magnitude cheaper and much more effective.

Stephen Brennane
                Estate Solutions
                Estate Agency websites & software

Comment

Rightmove for me, not found many good properties in my area on FindaProperty but found loads on Rightmove.

Not sure I agree with the sentiments that estate agents shouldnt need to use portals like RightMove.

Many first time buyers use portals because they do not necessarily have an exact property in mind, they just want to see as many properties as possible within their often limited budget so they can decide what is the best they can get for their money.

Rightmove is a good way for first time buyers to contrast and compare properties within their price range. It is very time consuming to ring around and register with many different estate agents.

I agree you get more serious buyers registered with estate agents than on RightMove but in my opinion if you are a serious seller then you should be doing as much as possible to get people interested.

If reports are true that prices will fall another 15% this year then the quicker you sell the better. And if you want to sell fast it may well be worth spending a little extra to get as much exposure as possible.
                  Free UK Property Investment Seminar

Comment

What about the free property websites

Originally posted by Genswed View Post
                    I have heard so many different opinions and right now am trying to cut back on costs!! (Credit Crisis) Which would you say you prefer....Rightmove or Find a Property?

Are there not free property websites that allow searching?
                    Are they any good?

Comment

Yeah, there's plenty - but very little evidence that they have any significant number of properties on them, so (a) why would you look there, if most of the properties are elsewhere, and (b) what incentive is there to list your property there for 'free' when there's no guarantee that anyone will look at it?

Comment

Hi All.

I don't know if it's useful, but we are a commercial property search website, serving the whole of the UK, and we are completely free to use.

Obviously it is a little off the subject, as you are discussing residential property, but if you are interested in investment opportunities, land, office space or more commercial properties, then take a look at our website and see what you think.

Thanks,
                        http://www.commercialroute.com

Comment

Difficulty of finding the right place

Originally posted by googler View Post
                          Yeah, there's plenty - but very little evidence that they have any significant number of properties on them, so (a) why would you look there, if most of the properties are elsewhere, and (b) what incentive is there to list your property there for 'free' when there's no guarantee that anyone will look at it?

I see what you are saying.
                          The thought I had was: if there was a website (free or not) that managed to list relevant properties I am interested in (the fewer the better 3-5), at the price I am looking for, then I am happy. So even though there may only be a few places, if I am able to find them quickly and easily, and there is enough information about them, then I am sorted.
                          I dislike the long list of properties from the many websites out there that can suggest 50 places. Of which, I have to scan through all 50 to get the top three I think might be nice.

Going flat hunting is exactly that, sifting through tons of choices.

I think.

Comment

personally, I think Rightmove works very well, I don't tend to use other sites much

Comment

Working...
                            X