Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Estate Agents Confessions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estate Agents Confessions...

Hi all

I was just wondering if there were any ex-Estate Agents out there who had any stories about the real working practices... I've recently heard stories that one particular estate agent used a property to impress ladies and on one instance actually got caught in bed with someone in a property that was up for sale!! Does anyone know any great stories about the 'real' estates agents practices?? Would be interesting to find out why they have such a bad reputation...

Joanne

You mean the story that appeared on the TV 'expose' that was broadcast last year...? Never mind, it's a real revelation that you've heard it now.

You never know, you might actually find the majority have a good reputation if you ask for all sorts of stories, not just the bad ones.

Comment

Hi Googler

Yes, that's the one. I'm actually looking for someone to take part in a BBC property programme I'm researching. We need people who work or used to work in an estate agents who can tell us some funny, strange or outrageous stories from the office. I don't suppose you have had any encounters have you Googler?

Joanne

Comment

If you're only looking for "funny, strange or outrageous" then none of my encounters qualify, I'm afraid.

I could make some up, though. How much are you paying for contributions?

Comment

Surely 'research' should start from a neutral standpoint, not from a pre-determined attitude or position...?

"Would be interesting to find out why they have such a bad reputation..." implies a pre-disposition to find the EAs to be guilty as charged, without consideration of evidence to the contrary.

Or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by JoanneJackson View Post
            Hi Googler

Yes, that's the one. I'm actually looking for someone to take part in a BBC property programme I'm researching. We need people who work or used to work in an estate agents who can tell us some funny, strange or outrageous stories from the office. I don't suppose you have had any encounters have you Googler?

Joanne
            I'm getting really annoyed with the number of production companies who come into these forums asking for help.

It kind of shows a complete lack of professionalism if you have to resort to trawling forums for info.

And not a single one has ever come back and told me they credited HomeMove.co.uk as a source.

All take and no give means production researchers will be treated as spammers from now on - this is a community, not an advertising board.

Comment

Hurrah!

Way to go, Brian.

Comment

what about the estate agents who work incredibly long hours and shock of all shocks, also work within the law - or does that not make good tv??

Comment

Have to agree that the days of crap estate agents are moslty over. More regulation now helps keep the rogue traders out of business.

Comment

They have a bad rep because tenant are not easy to please, they want you to hold there hands for them

Comment

Its a tough job because its like this - I go to a persons house and value it, normally (recently) they dont like what I say and so to get the business you sometimes have to advertise it slightly higher than you would have liked (although gone are the days of ridiculously high prices). Then 1 of 2 things may happen, A) it sells quickly and the vendor thinks ive under valued the house and havent done enough work to justify the fee. Or B) It takes ages to sell and the vendor is unhappy because I have over valued it or not done enough work to sell it quicker.

Lose lose for Agents.

Comment

Here's a recent confession about some dodgy tactics...
                        (Search YouTube for red roof vlog 2)

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Marty View Post
                          Its a tough job because its like this - I go to a persons house and value it, normally (recently) they dont like what I say and so to get the business you sometimes have to advertise it slightly higher than you would have liked (although gone are the days of ridiculously high prices). Then 1 of 2 things may happen, A) it sells quickly and the vendor thinks ive under valued the house and havent done enough work to justify the fee. Or B) It takes ages to sell and the vendor is unhappy because I have over valued it or not done enough work to sell it quicker.

Lose lose for Agents.
                          I dont agree with you i'm afraid. Estate agents are well known for feeding the biggest load of crap. When the "Valuer" came to my place we sat down and asked what I was looking for, All I asked for was to be kept informed and to date I have not been one little bit!

Estate agents are crooks they want to do the minimal ammount of work for the biggest reward!

I have no tme for estate agents and see them as a massive sore i'd rather not have!

Comment

"Estate agents are crooks they want to do the minimal ammount of work for the biggest reward!"

How does this differ from any non Estate Agents?

Is there anyone in the country who wants to work more, to be paid less?

Comment

Re: Estate Agents Confessions...

I can only say that during my time as an Estate Agent I had far too much respect for my customers to do anything out of order in or near their property. They out a great deal of trust into us and I feel it would be completely out of order to break that trust.
                              Looking for a large mortgage?

Comment

Working...
                              X