Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tenancy Renewal Fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenancy Renewal Fees

Hi, I'm hoping to seek some advice about the renewal of a tenancy. I've been using the same agency from 2005. Initially they were very helpful and the fees reflected the work they performed. More recently though over the last year or so they have been extremely unhelpful and reluctant to communicate with me.

The second tenants they had found wanted to stay after the initial 12mths for which I had already paid a fee. For the next 12 month period I did not want to have the agency involved, so drafted a contract between myself and the tenant. The agency had said because of the problems, if I wanted, I could find another agency or manage myself since they were so reluctant to continue to assist in anyway. So that was the route I took.

I've received renewal invoices from the agency demanding a fee of 11% for performing absolutely no work over the new 12 mth period of which were now into the 5 month.

The agreement that was originally signed in 2005 states the fee is "payable at the commencement of the tenancy. Renewal or extension to the same tenant - AS ABOVE. Fees for the creation of second and subsequent tenancies are as previously stated". But, there is no mention of the tenants name on this contract. Also, I no longer reside at the address stated on the contract.

Since signing a contract directly with the tenant the agency has had no involvement at all.

Will i still need to pay the agency fees ?

Your best bet would be to seek advice from the ARLA.

Comment

Working...
    X