Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scotland properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland properties

So, what's relatively near both Edinburgh's airport and on the train down to Newcastle? And is Scotland the sort of place where it's best to rent for a while to see if you like living somewhere? (I suppose that might be everywhere, really, but you know what I mean.)

I would definitely rent first if you aren't familiar with the area. Edinburgh is a hot town now so buying prices are high, and you'd want to decide what is not only the most convenient but where the best prices are for you. I always prefer as rural as possible and would rather commute a little and not be in the city.

Comment

Hmmm. What's a nice town or two to go look at when I'm in Edinburgh? If I'm staying there, I'll probably be taking the train to Durham, so I can easily look in a town or two if it's on the train and I know what towns to look at...

Comment

It's a bit west of Edinburgh, but when looking to buy in Scotland we rented near Stirling - it's basically right in the middle of Scotland and has great transport links to anywhere else in Scotland. Edinburgh airport is only a 40 min drive away along the motorway as well.

If you definitely need to be between Edinbrugh and Newcastle, then maybe somewhere like Dunbar would be a better place to look - I remember I wanted to look at the area as some nice properties came up.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks Brian -- it's looking more and more like I might be coming there in February, so that's very useful. If it's on the train, I'll just hop off and look around and then continue on my merry way...

Comment

Your best thing to do right now is get a map of Scotland and then look at properties on primelocation.com. YOu can look at rentals or properties to buy. It's an easy site to navigate as are the geographical locations. All the better estate agents show houses there so you get an overall view of areas and prices. I highly recommend it.

Comment

Great, thanks! I'm waiting to hear back from my friend in Oz as to when he's going to be home in the North of England, as I'm going to try and at least overlap his trip...hopefully it won't be only over the holidays. I imagine it's much harder to look at properties then!

Comment

The great thing about that site is that you can do so much prep work before you go. Start looking now and you'll get an idea. You can look at properties over the holidays with advance appointments but you'll find that Scotland seems to make the Christmas holidays last for a bout two weeks!

Comment

A couple of other places worth referencing:

http://www.your-move.co.uk
                  http://www.espc.com
                  http://www.vebra.com

all should have properties covering the East of Scotland for you.

Comment

Just wondering IfmynameisCat had any luck looking and would share it. I love living vicariously!

Comment

There are many great deals for when you consider moving towards Land ownership you should try the sites that are out there

Comment

I think if you are in Scotland the property market is far superior to anything else in the UK.

Comment

Working...
                        X