Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling of a piece of a plot. Where do I start?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling of a piece of a plot. Where do I start?

I currently own a 'largish' plot that contains one existing house. I would like to divide the plot and get outline planning for a second property, and then sell this section of the plot onto a developer/builder.

Question is, "Where do I start?". I firstly want to know if I'm likely to get planning permission. Would it be a quantity surveyor that I would need to speak to? If so, how do I go about finding one?

Cheers.

D
    D

Planning

No need to lay out any money to start with, just go down to your local planning office and ask them for an opinion.

If others have already done it nearby then that will be a plus! What did they put up ?

If the planners are positive then get yourself an architect & take it from there.
    Mark
    Bridging Loans | Property Development Finance

Comment

It will help if you are in an area where land is at a premium. Where I am people are selling what seem to be tiny plots, because there is just no where else to build.
      Learn How To Plaster
      Run By Plasterers For Plasterers

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
        No need to lay out any money to start with, just go down to your local planning office and ask them for an opinion.

If others have already done it nearby then that will be a plus! What did they put up ?

If the planners are positive then get yourself an architect & take it from there.
        Sorry, MarkD, but that is bad advice.

"Ask the PLANNING OFFICER" ? ! You're "having a laugh" !
        You might as well ask your bank manager for the combination to his safe !

Planning Officers are not there to help and advise you to win planning permission. (Their more usual role is to obstruct that objective!). They are there to pursue the objectives of the planning authority, which are usually VERY different to those of an individual wanting to win valuable planning permission.

"Then get an ARCHITECT" ? Why ? The function of Architects is designing buildings, not winning planning permission from a planning authority that is usually reluctant to grant it. (Most Architects do not understand even the fundamentals of planning law, which determines whether or not planning permission can be won.)

First consult a planning consultant for an Initial Assessment of the development prospects of the site - i.e. the prospects of winning the planning permission you want. (It should be assessed in line with 38(6) of the 2004 Planning Act (P&CP Act 2004) - the ONLY correct way to do it.)

THEN if that shows a good chance of success, proceed with an Outline planning application. (Outline perrmission is cheaper to target and is all you need to increase the land value to building plot value and sell it. You WON'T need an Architect and £3,000 worth of plans to target that value-enhancing permission.)
        www.landplanning.org.uk
        Planning permission services available throughout the UK.
        No Win-No Fee terms available for suitable projects.

Comment

well if you want to sell it quick you can submit online forms like y searching n google sell house fast or sell house quick

Comment

Hi Dav
            sounds like it would be best to team up with someone - advice from LandPlanning is right, need to carefully approach Planning dept, almost need to present 'faite accomplie' knowing fully your position in respect of policy. This land has potential significant value (most building land does - just how significant depends on where you are). If you don't fancy sorting this yourself thru a consultant and incurring the costs then I might be able to help,
            just let me know
            MarkSev
            Mark Donald
            www.Reports4Planning.co.uk
            providing more effective reports.......

Comment

Working...
            X