Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renovation advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renovation advice

I'm new to this forum and new to the world of house renovation. I'd very much appreciate some general advice and guidance as I'm getting out of my depth.
    I recently bought a 1920s house - attractive and in a good location - with the plan of doing some general renovation so that it would be a retirement home for me and my wife.
    Those of you who are more experienced will give me an old fashioned look. I bought for cash and didn't do my homework or get a thorough enough survey. Needless to say I'm now finding significant problems: damp, roofing and aloft that's a mess.
    All of this will use up the budget we'd allocated for new kitchen, redecoration etc.
    I'm trying to project manage things myself but I seem to be getting bogged down - waiting for builders/quotes. I've had a couple of bad experiences with builders and am getting over-cautious and mistrustful. I'm also getting panicky and depressed as I watch my hard earned retirement cash drop into the house money pit.
    Any advice? Do I just press on? Am I better off passing the whole thing over to a reputable (but probably expensive) building firm to undertake the renovation? Anyone had a similar experience?
    Harold

Re: Renovation advice

Hi Harold,

Use a good reputable builder and tell them you will pay for work as it is
    done instead of handing over all the cash upfront. Agree 3 or 4 stages and
    at each time release some cash as that way you can specify work wise what
    will be done at each stage. If the builder isn't dodgy they will take the work

Ged
    http://www.premierexpatmortgages.com
    [email protected]

Comment

Whatever you do, don’t start a remodel without a detailed floor plan. A lot of elements interact in a space — put them all on paper and you’ll catch problems before they are built. You may be able to build a functional space without a plan, but if you want a functional and beautiful space, hire a designer
      Lisa Jenkins
      Staff
      Cromwell Management

Comment

Hey there, make e good plan, by starting with defining the budget that you can spend, of course it could vary but, you have yo get the main point. Then you should choose a good builder. Local one's and having a good reputation. Paying up front is not a good sign, from my experience. The professionals have insured the whole operation and do not want money for anything that they cannot explain or is not mandatory.

Comment

Working...
        X