Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organising tradesman on a property development - questions to those experienced

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organising tradesman on a property development - questions to those experienced

Hello all. I am new to this forum (as of today) and am just about to branch out into property development with my partner. We have around £250k capital to invest and have targeted our market already (east midlands: Peterborough, Lincoln and Grantham areas). However my query is around some specifics of how to actually go about project managing a development so any advice from those of you much more experienced would be invaluable:

1. Often on TV you see people buy a property and turn it round in 4-6 weeks. Every time I have tried to get builders into my own property there is a minimum 2 month lead time before they can even start, let alone complete the job. How do developers minimise this lead time? Is it even possible?

2. For my own property, I used an all-in-one service for doing up my bathroom and kitchen (from somewhere like B&Q) who offer a design, supply and fitting service. Is this really the cheapest way of refurbing a property's bathroom and kitchen or am I better off buying the fittings myself (from somewhere like Wicks) and getting a builder to fit? Any ideas?

3. The other thing you see on property programmes is estate agents giving the prospective developer a likely valuation for when the property is complete. I assume an estate agent would be unlikely to just come in and do this for free on a property you don't even own yet, and the agents you are buying from are unlikely to be wholly unbiased. So how do you get a valuation and ideas on what will add the most value before you buy so you can gauge what to buy and what is cost effective and what isn't? Would you perhaps get this information from a surveyor/valuer at the time of survey?

Many thanks for any advice...

Recommendations

Hi,

I would recommend talking to the agents over the phone, explaining what you intend to do and ask them what would be the best for that area considering the market conditions, remember the agents want to sell your home and only earn money as a result.

Go with the average, being realistic and remember work with the worst case scenarios, that way any profit will excel your expectations.

Bonetti Property Development Consultants -Property Developers
    Last edited by bonetti consultants; 12-12-2007, 07:45 PM.
    Regards

bonettipropertyconsultants.co.uk

Comment

Working...
    X