Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hiring an independent project manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring an independent project manager

Hi,

I am planning some improvements to a holiday cottage in Cornwall and have had plans drawn up by an Architects technician.

We have good recommendations from friends and family in the local area for the individual tradespeople needed (carpenter, plumber, electrician, plasterer etc) and would rather use these than get a firm in who would manage the work and use their own tradespeople.

However, I have no experience of managing improvement/construction work and live a few hours drive away so really don't want to try to project manage it myself.

Ideally I would like to hire the individual tradespeople myself but contract a local, independent project manager to oversee the work on my behalf. I know this won't be cheap but think it could save a lot of stress, and possibly money, in the long run.

My questions are:

1) Do you think this a workable idea or would it be better to just go with a local firm who will manage the whole thing from start to finish.

2) How do I go about finding a reputable independent project manager?

Many thanks for your help!

Just for info, the work includes:
    • Moving the main bathroom from the ground to the first floor (to the room above so should be fairly straight forward)
    • Adding a small en-suite to the master room (again, fairly straightforward)
    • Slight changes to some stud walls on the first floor
    • Completing a partly finished loft conversion (need to add stair access and a window but no major work required)
    • Laying slate flooring on ground floor
    • Converting current ground floor bathroom to a WC and utility
Working...
X