Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice desperately needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice desperately needed

I've also posted this on the estate agent sub forum as I'm lost as to where the appropriate place is to post.

Firstly, this is my first time on the forum and I apologise if I have posted in the sub forum. Feel free to advise me if I need to rewrite this somewhere else.
    Cutting a long and sad story short, in order to pre-empt a massive sibling fallout I decided to buy out my two arguing sisters of a small end terrace house that we were left by an old aunty.
    The house is in Yorkshire and has to be completely gutted, but I mean completely, nothing can be saved. The size is what it is and internal walls can not be moved. Unless I am very careful with what I spend, I'm risking not only not inheriting anything, but actually losing money that I really couldn't afford to invest. All to keep a family together!!

Anyway, my first question is this.
    The front door opens into the lounge (4m x 3.89m) To make the property more saleable, should I invest in a nice fireplace, or should I think about putting in connections for a wall mounted television instead, or should I just board it up and plaster over it. Plus once done, do I make it a feature wall or just stick to magnolia?

2nd question is'
    The bathroom is tiny but does have a small bath. Do I refit a new small bath with an overhead shower or do I just install a big shower and forget the bath altogether?

They say, whoever "they" are, that people like a bath and they also like a fire. If it was for me, I'd scrap both; modern radiators work for me as does a shower. I need to make this property saleable but my margins are so, so tight. I've never had to do this type of thing before and I'm really needing some constructive suggestions.

I look forward in anticipation to your help.

Re: Advice desperately needed

I think you need to stop thinking about redeveloping the property, and instead focus on simply smarting it up for sale - painting the walls in neutral colours and similar things.

I think you are over-thinking by worrying about whether you should install a new fireplace or shower - a buyer will make improvements they want as they see fit - the danger is, by putting work in, you actually make the property less desirable if a buyer will end up reversing your developments.

Comment

Working...
    X