Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What order to renovate a house?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What order to renovate a house?

I live in a house that needs a bit of work doing. I know that some of these will over lap, but what order would be the best so different parts dont undo work that has just been done.

What I need doing is
    - flooring
    - repasting the whole of down stair (to get rid of Artux),
    - new kitchen
    - rewiring

Due to cost these jobs might happen a few months apart or should we try and get one firm to do them all at the same time.

Thanks

Re: What order to renovate a house?

I would have thought the rewiring would come first.
    Last edited by brian; 16-04-2013, 03:27 PM. Reason: Doh! Typo! rewriting to rewiring

Comment

"rewriting" might be a good idea! lol
      Whilst you are at it you may as well "repasting" and get rid of the "ARTUX" too! lol

If you are living there, I would do in this order:
      Bathroom, Living Room, Bedroom, Kitchen and the the rest.
      If any work overlaps then do that at the same time ie Re WIRING or Re Plastering.

DIY or builder depends on your money situation and how good you are at DIY.
      As you are asking, I would recommend you get quotes from people who know what they are doing!
      BRAND NEW HOMES
      Information for UK new home buyers
      New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Rewiring first because the floor will need lifting to do runs and the walls will need chasing unless you put trunking in which in my opinion doesn't look as good. Anyway then flooring followed by walls and then I'd do the kitchen.
        Last edited by gta123; 16-08-2013, 12:10 AM. Reason: Needed to add something

Comment

Working...
        X