Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

One to Two

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • One to Two

    Hi Guys,

    Just after some advice/thoughts etc.

    My parents have a leased 5/6 bedroom cottage which they have been given permission to separate into the original 1x two and 1x three bedroom setup (for sub letting), of which myself and partner will have one side and they will have the other.

    There will be no modification to the outside of the house in anyway. However inside there will be two doors blocked to create the partition between the houses (in the same location as the original partitions); additionally a kitchen will be re-instated in its previous position (from when it used to be two cottages). I have no experience with this and was wondering where to even begin with the re-registrations side of the works, i.e. to get the original house name back?

    My second question is, if the house was to be sub-letted by us from my parents, would there even be a requirement to do the above or could we just maintain the single house name and have all deliveries/bank details etc. registered to the one, despite it being two units inside?

    Thanks for any help on this

  • #2
    Re: One to Two

    Hi Sam,

    If you are subletting then there is no need to separate the properties since the ownership would remain with your parents, and as such an informal arrangement could be agreed.

    However - if you wanted to split the property into 2 and legally own (i.e. be placed on the title deeds) for your half then certain conditions would have to be met.

    In order to proceed I’m assuming you would need a mortgage - to which the lender's usual requirements are as follows:

    - to have both properties partitioned with no connection between the 2
    - to have separate entrance and access
    - to have separate gas and electricity supplies and meters
    - to be registered as separate address
    - to be entered separately on the title deeds - though this could be done during the purchase process - be careful though since some lender's will want the title deeds separated before considering your application

    If you need any further help please let me know.