Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Buidling Regs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Buidling Regs

Hi I'm thinking about buying the following property, however when the property was divided into flats it seems no building regs were applied for. I did talk to someone in BC and they said no enforcement would be made because it was such a long time ago. They would only ever do anything for instance if a tenant complained something was dangerous. I would ensure that there was nothing dangerous.

The buidling has 3 stories old Victorian. The ground floor was a bank. I imagine the upper floors were a masonette or a large flat on each floor.

Now the ground floor is a storage area of junk, I want this as an office
    The upper floors have a few self contained flatlets, a couple of bedrooms, kitchen area and shower room. It has been let out like this at least since 2007, possibly longer.

I would imagine that the top 2 floors were changed into these flats although there is always a chance that they were always like that. Lets assume that someone changed it. The changes were made without permissions. Planning didn't seem to care and BC said you could apply for retrospective permission or not.

I don't think they updated a file with our conversation as he really just said nothing would happen unless a complaint was made. Then they might have to take out an injunction incase it was unsafe.

So in summary, they said they can't take enforcement action because it is too long ago and wouldn't do anything unless someone complained.

At some point in time if I bought it I might want to mortgage it or sell it so I could buy an indemnity insurance, I am aware that they dont work if you have brought this to the attention of the Council, I would check with the Council but as I said they have no intention of doing anything so I dont think they recorded it, I will check this though the bloke was nice enough.

The point of the indemnity is to cover against enforcement but they said they wouldn't do this so what would be the point. If I did buy the insurance just to satisy the lenders would this be ok? Would they need it considering the council said they would never enforce because of the time lapse.

Ideas?

Mark

Re: No Buidling Regs

It might be worth contacting your local planning department, just to see what they say.

I would imagine that it's OK if the changes were made a long time ago.
    A price comparison site for building materials, tools and DIY http://www.buyersassistant.co.uk

Comment

Working...
    X