Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auction property bought 96K first time refubishment, here we go!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction property bought 96K first time refubishment, here we go!

Right Auction property now bought for 96K, 2 bedroom semi-detached house
    Im a first time developer, I run my own electrical contracting company and have been around the construction industry for a while, i am going to fit in the refurbishment around my work and at weekends, thought it might be interesting to keep an updated thread going for mutual benefits, this is a very quick overview of what has been going on, pictures of property on previous thread.
    Keys handed over 9th Jan
    Ive had a month to think about plans for the house.
    My plans are a full strip out, keeping walls that i can, knock down back extensions x 2
    Build extension incorporating larger kitchen and dining area to patio, then grassed area to back
    11th Jan
    Had half a day to strip out old extension and discard of as much as possible, managed to do 4 trips to the dump
    14, 15th Jan
    Me and a labourer fully take down and get rid of extension walls windows and dig back area to garden out, 5 trips to the dump. Sunday stripped bathroom out in its entirety, except immersion heater i am getting a plumber round next week to drain system.
    All downstairs walls and ceilings stripped, all laves and plaster in big heap ready to go to the dump.
    Realised to much grief to get rid of what’s there and hiring a 8 yard skip for Friday at a whopping £245
    Costings to date: will follow.
    Plans for new extension i should receive tomorrow, and also building control submitted
    21, 22nd Jan aiming to clear all rubbish and finish strip out, jack hammer old concrete bases of old extensions out get rid of, take down old chimney in bathroom, me + a labourer and hopefully a friend on sat.

Re: Auction property bought 96K first time refubishment, here we go!

no reply's amazing forum!!

Comment

Don't get disheartened, Ronzey77. It's true that this isn't a "chatty" forum; regular contributors tend only to speak up when they have something meaningful or significant to offer (we leave the meaningless one liners and the airhead opinions to the spammers!). However, there is a lot of what I would call active listening going on and you may find that as you get further into the development of your property and encounter problems and challenges that need a bit of thought or perhaps a second opinion, you will get feedback. Don't give up on us!

Comment

My advice on the skips - ring around and haggle, places will DEFINATELY do it cheaper than £245!

Comment

Thankyou jeannie, and thanks for your advice scrumpy, i ended up getting a skip through a friend for £205 so saved £40.

Comment

Hello everyone hope you had a great weekend, another long one for me!!
            I did all of above and cleared into the skip, full load 8 yard at £205
            First fix of electrics for 4 hours a nice job running some cables, also 1 x dump run
            Also Holly my fiancée pulled out all the nails from the stud work and ceilings bless her for a full day Sunday
            In the week designed the lighting plan as going for some really extravagant shades

28/01/12
            Fix all electrical boxes, strip immersion, strip last wall bedroom
            Alan (bricklayer builder) came along to have a look, no problems, going to try and drop step to split the levels, through to extension means a further dig of 8 inches, alan when he comes to brick the extension will also put lintels in position and brick up old window and door, also some further small alterations to tidy up.
            Colin (ground worker) came along and no problem laying base, hopefully start in 2 weeks
            Will clear the site with a digger, and me and a labourer will barrow to a skip (one day)
            Hopefully the following day we will dig the footings and discard to skip, then take a more accurate measurement of materials required, have a rough estimate but until the footing are dug will know for sure how much concrete required.
            29/01/02
            Wired to boxes all sockets /lights and hallways 75% complete
            All coming together quite nicely, especially after the visit from Colin,
            Next weekend will take down the chimney stacks.
            I am going to insulate the 9inch solid walls to the alley way has anyone any suggestions on what i should use and how? Batten or dot and dab, was thinking 62.5mm kingspan kooltherm k18 insulated plasterboards, got this info from another chat room.
            Also another consideration to me now is to fully extend across the back garden I will post some pictures of the plans on here soon, and some pictures in progress.
            Also another issue is rising damp in the front room, ive now taken the boards up and it looks fine, thinking im going to inject the walls anyway? Any suggestions on this and how would be fantastic.
            Still loving it, I wish you farewell for now.........

Comment

some pics...
              Attached Files

Comment

Good Luck, looks like a great project... would look forward to seeing the after photos too!

Comment

Originally posted by ronzey77 View Post
                  no reply's amazing forum!!

Ronzey, I have not been on this forum for a while due to the lack of serious property development forum / investment advice. Some of the useless one line posts from people who probably still live with their mum about foreign investment can be a bit annoying.

Anyway, I'd like to say thank you for sharing your experiences first hand complete with photographs. It makes a refreshing change to see someone put their money where there mouth is and document their project. This is far more interesting than the usual negativity that often surrounds queries on property developments. You should be proud of yourself for jumping in with both feet.
                  Good luck with your new project.

MJ

Comment

Thanks Jackie and moby for your comments, its been a busy couple of months, i was going to document the whole process but had little responses, although i have kept my own log along the way, of every labour, material, and administration costs and hours worked etc, as this will hopefully help me in the future when costing more accuratly and timescaling a future project.
                    A breif overview of whats happened so far
                    1. full strip out of the property
                    2. Cellotex walls and ceiling
                    3. Convert loft
                    4. Take out chimney / brick back up
                    5. Roof works
                    6. 1st fix Electrics
                    7. 1st fix Plumbing
                    8. Take out 6 skips from garden
                    9. Dig and lay footings
                    10. Brick footings
                    11. Start on crushed concrete clear the garden
                    12. Batten walls / start dryling

Please find my pictures below, regards Dave

Comment

Hi Ronzey, really glad that you are posting progress of your project, as I think it will be very useful for other forum users to see how you are getting on.
                      Just out of interest, what is are your exit plans, are you planning to sell or rent? Also what sort of profit are you aiming for?

Comment

Good luck to you mate, hope you make a good return on your investment. Im looking to do the same kind of thing. Was just wondering how much you expect to lay out on top of the 96k, and where your property is ?
                        anyway good luck to you

Comment

some pics of outside as promised, got planning approved today, so can crack right on, got some issues with the existing drainage so will get some advice this weekend.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Amazing! Please keep us posted. How far have you gotten with things, as I notice your last post is from about a month and a half ago. Goodluck, this looks like a good project.

Comment

Originally posted by ronzey77 View Post
                              some pics of outside as promised, got planning approved today, so can crack right on, got some issues with the existing drainage so will get some advice this weekend.
                              I've just joined on the basis of this thread. I'll be posting some pictures soon of the development that me and my old man are working on, on our house.

Any updates over the last few months ronzey77?

Comment

Working...
                              X