Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Building An Extension On A Flat.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Building An Extension On A Flat.

Hi everyone,

Some advice would be much appreciated...

I've seen a half basement/half ground floor flat I want to buy (it's lower than ground floor but not quite as low as a basement flat), and want to extend it.

Basically this seems like a chicken and egg thing, since I wouldn't buy it unless I knew it was possible to build an extension on it. It has a private garden of around 15 square metres I'd like to extend and use all of (I'd like to make it one storey with a pitch roof and one or two skylights)

Can anyone tell me how much they think it would cost, and what the procedure is, given its a flat?

It's a leasehold flat, so this is as much as I know so far...

1. Contact the freeholder to get permission,

2. Get an architect to draw up plans for the extension.

3. Get a building quote

4. Submit the architect's plans to the council for planning permission.

5. THEN, Put in an offer to buy the place.

Has anyone done this kind of thing before? have I got the order correct?!

Does anyone know how much steps 1 to 4 would cost? I'm worried that I could get quite a bill going before even putting an offer in on a place that I desperately want if I can build the extension, but don't want at all if I can't!

Thank you so much for your help!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that if you open the door to the private garden, you have the main building wall immediately on the left going up 3 storeys, on the right is a concrete wall about 2 metres high, and straight ahead is a fence. The whole area is about 2.4m in width and 6.5m in length.

Thanks everyone!!!

Re: Help! Building An Extension On A Flat.

See this thread on MSE where the same question was asked:

Help! How Do I Build An Extension On A Flat? - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Re: Help! Building An Extension On A Flat.

This Thread looks exactly like the thread question as noted by Richard so I presume Flat Help! now has the required answers!
      Peter Hall M.Sc. B.Sc. (Hons) MRICS
      www.agrarian-uk.com

Comment

Working...
      X