Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which improvements are worth doing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which improvements are worth doing?

Hi all, I've bought a run down house which I aim to do up slowly and eventually sell. In the current climate one of my big concerns is spending too much on improvements that won't add much value to the property. So I'd like to start a thread on which improvements really pay for themselves and which ones you think are a waste of time and money?

Specifically at the moment my dilemma is double glazing! The house has some upvc double glazing in about half of the windows. One of the downstairs wooden windows is warped and doesn't close, so will need replacing straight away. But do I pay for upvc double glazing or just put the cheapest wooden windows I can find? And is it worth shelling out for the other windows while I'm at it? How much difference does double glazing make when selling? Its not the best area and I reckon the ceiling price for this house will be around 120k.

I'd be very interested to read your opinions Thanks
    Double glazing
    25.00%
    Central heating
    25.00%
    New kitchen
    12.50%
    New bathroom
    12.50%
    Exterior (roof, repointing etc)
    0.00%
    Garden
    12.50%
    Carpets
    12.50%
    Fireplace
    0.00%
    Doors & woodwork
    0.00%
    Other (please post a comment!)
    0.00%

Re: Which improvements are worth doing?

Hi flipper

Generally I would say double glazing is a must if you intend to sell (renting it out is another matter since you don't pay the utility bills).

The only issue is that you won't add any more value than you spend on them. So the real question is, do the other comparible properties in the street have double glazing or not?
    Free Guides For First Time Buyers!

www.FirstTimeBuyerGuru.com

Comment

Working...
    X