Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self manage or contract out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self manage or contract out?

Thank you for taking the time to read,

Just as a start I’m not selling anything!!, I know every phone call that opens with the words this is a sales call normally, but all I am looking for is feedback.

Firstly I will give you some background:
    My personal background is in the mortgage & financial services industry. Working for a clearing bank "prime lender" prior to 'M' day. Then moving into commercial and property development financing in the mid 00's. I have now moved into a totally separate area of commercial financing.

Two years ago with some school friends I set up a small plastering & refurbishment company (more of a hobby business, than a serious enterprise). They had been sub contract plasterers for 7 and 5 years respectively. With the economic downturn and recession, contract work totally dried up. We have been fairly successful even within the recent downturn. The work we complete is small refurb jobs up to small developments (ie, up to 4 x new build properties)

Over the past two years we have built up excellent relationships with additional tradesmen (plumber, electrician, bricky, roofer, joiner - pretty much every trade you would need to complete a refurb) We also have an Architect who helps with loft conversions, extensions etc...

I am thinking of expanding the current plastering business to offer a full turnkey solution to property developers (build costs £15,000 - £500,000, this would include:

# Dedicated Site Manager (go to guy)
    # A full quotation at enquiry stage to include everything up to handing the keys back to be rented or sold.
    # The ability to source discounted kitchens, bathrooms etc...
    # I could also offer help/advice on the finance side if required

We have had the relevant experience of full project management recently, completing two developments on time and on budget.

Because of the relationships we have built over the years we can offer a very quick turnaround, with the tradesmen willing to do the jobs as add ons to their regular work (i.e. night time and weekends)

ie, the two lads I have the plastering business with, after a full day on site are in Knutsford now (22:40) helping another plasterer to get a house finished.

The recent experience I have of sourcing jobs has been mostly internet advertising (organic) all within the local area.

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread; please could you give me some feedback on the following questions?

Do you manage the development yourself or use a site manager?
    What can I do to be appealing to developers?
    If you were looking for a new contractor, where would you look?
    Who recommended a contractor to you initially?
    What would be the best type of pricing? To break down each individual aspect or price for the whole job?
    Are there any things that put you off taking up a quotation?

Thanks for taking the time

C
Working...
X