Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auction property - sagging roof, cracks on ceiling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction property - sagging roof, cracks on ceiling

Hi, there's a bungalow up for sale at auction in a couple of days. I've only just found it so its a bit late to get a professional survey carried out on the house before its up for sale. The property itself is in dire need of modernisation but all in all has a lot of potential and the majority of the work appears to be cosmetic. There are a few things that concern me howver, so I was hoping I could get some advice.

1.) The roof appears to be sagging a bit, although the Estate Agents that the roof had been recently replaced

2.) There is some fairly substantial cracks in ceiling of the 2nd bedroom facing the rear of the property

3.) There is a 30cm vertical crack on the brick-work on the fron of the property under the window
    I have attached images of the property.
    Anyone know if any of these problems may lead to something serious? The property is situated in a pretty good area and has the potential to be quite a bargain. Unfortunately I'm still quite new to all this property development stuff so I don't really know which problems are likely to be the most costly.

Thanks

Re: Auction property - sagging roof, cracks on ceiling

Hi

As you don't have time to get a structural survey before the auction, unless you can view it again and take a builder with you, I would advise you not to bid for it. Especially as you say you're fairly new to developing.

Obviously the roof is new but it's definitely sagging so maybe it wasn't put on properly. The cracks are worrying, they could even be caused by subsidence in which case you could be looking at under-pinning.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Comment

Re: Auction property - sagging roof, cracks on ceiling

Dont touch it with a bargepole! If nothing else the roof has had it!
      Unless you plan to knock it down but as a semi that will be problematic too!
      BRAND NEW HOMES
      Information for UK new home buyers
      New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Working...
      X