Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hello all, after a few opinions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello all, after a few opinions...

Hi all, ive read of this site that new bathrooms and kitchens are always good to add value to a property but I wonder what you guys think about having the walls cavity filled? I think I'm looking at about 180 to have it done, would this also help me to sell? Or is it neither here or there? Other things I've thought about doing is stripping all the wallpaper off and plastering every room as I can plaster well, then paint a very neutral colour to create a "blank canvas" look for the buyer.

One last thing... is I'm unsure of what to do with the floors of each room as the carpets need replacing as they are very tatty, would it be better to have a cheap plain carpet in to go with the blank canvas idea I mentioned earlier? Or maybe put in lament flooring throughout?

Re: hello all, after a few opinions...

has nobody got any opinions on the floors?

ive recently found out that british gas will do my wall cavity insulation for free

Comment

Painting and replacing carpets can be done very cheaply and while they may not add actual value will make the property more attractive and probably easier to sell for

Comment

There is no accounting for a potential buyer's taste. You could decide to put carpets down only for the new owner to rip them up and replace with tiles, laminate or just another shade of carpet. And vise versa of course.

My personal opinion is, if the existing carpet is tatty, and it needs more than a steam clean to bring it back to life...go with a new, neatural colour carpert thougout and tiled kitchen/bathroom. Dont spend a fortune but make sure its a decent job.

Kevin

Comment

Good questions and you are on the right lines.
          cavity Insulation is a good idea in all buy very expeosed areas. You may even get a grant for it.

Smooth walls in neutral colours (I like white) always help a home to sell.

Go with cheap plain not patterned carpet not laminate. (noisey, slipperly)
          BRAND NEW HOMES
          Information for UK new home buyers
          New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Working...
          X