Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cost to encase external waste pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cost to encase external waste pipe

I have a query about a proposed rear extension to my home. It will extend to aprrox 3.2m for which we have building permission, but we have found that the outside wall will sit directly over the communal waste pipe. The builders have said that we need separate permission to do this, and will be very expensive to build over. They say around £4,000

could the be so expensive? why so expensive to build a "bridge" over the pipe? also, would there not be a standard place where the communal waste pipe runs in Edwardian properties, and if so, wouldn't either the council or builders have known this before? wouldn't everyone have this problem in that case?

Many thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Kind regards,
    Elizabeth

It's probably worth getting a second opinion from another builder - don;t mention the price increase for the pipe, just mention that you believe it's there.

If they confirm the extra cost, it's then worth approaching the council directly to ask whether separate permission will be required. Councils are usually pretty approachable, and should be able to give a pretty authoritative answer - especially if you contact them in writing, then they have to ensure you get an authoritative written response, rather than a potentially fudged verbal answer.

Anyway, hope that helps, and best of luck with the extension.

Comment

Re: cost to encase external waste pipe

Was the cost to build over or redirect?
      My son-in law [pro builder] built over his communal soil pipe and only had to prove it had been undamaged [cctv footage of pipe run, about £200]
      Is the waste pipe adopted?under the control of local council?

Comment

Working...
      X