Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

major extention time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• major extention time

Hi All

New to this site but have found many interesting posts.
    Currently moving fast to organise a major extention on my property.
    Planning consent, Building Regs, and party wall agreements all in place.
    Builders quotes have come in (last year) but know that this will increase due to vat increase. Project will last up to 8 months and we will move out of the house better for all concerned !Currently just 'fighting' with Thames Water to connect to mains drainage.
    Never been involved in this sort of building work before so my question is (1)is there mileage in going back to the builders to renagotiate prices (house prices in my area have taken a small dive-only a small one and is builders work as plentiful as say 1 year ago) We are located in Surrey.
    Help on this would be much appreciated as the thought of this project is giving me sleepless nights.

Re: major extention time

Hi

You could always get a quote from a builder who is not VAT registered and save yourself 20% straightaway!

Comment

Current extention costs are circa 120k to 200k in quotes (with the VAT) and i am not sure if a long standing builder who only generates income of under the Tax threashold would be a safe bet. Again my nieveness to all this massive.Not to say they couldnt but would worry if they are more of a general handyman than a builder ?Quotes have been obtained for some of these builders with interesting results.

would love to save 20% of the building cost vote for tax abolishion on extentions
      Last edited by SHEPPED; 26-01-2011, 11:39 AM. Reason: added to text

Comment

I've tried several times to edit/delete this post as I hadn't read your post properly
        Last edited by Kaz; 26-01-2011, 11:53 AM. Reason: Hadn't read post properly

Comment

yes i think you are correct but it sounds ridiculous however at £64k wouldnt buy a 1 bedroom flat around here and builders are looking to max profits (dont blame them)I often thought about getting a builder from outside the area buying a caravan or 2 and letting them get on with it, however wont know standard of work well, could do a runner off site and would be a nightmare to get them to come back with a half finished job

Comment

Call me old fasioned but if you have accepted the builders quote, you have a contract and unless there are agreed changes to the scope of the work or some unforseen factors appear, you are legally bound. In my experience, as you drive the builders quote down so too will the quality. If you end up with a badly built building you really will have sleepless nights. I have project managed many projects and the trick is a good scheme (design) good set of plans, a good builder ( recommended and vetted), a proper tender process and then stick with it. Dont change the design and do not mess the builder around. Hard advice but heartfelt. Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X