Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best legal tax structure for self builder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best legal tax structure for self builder

Hi all,

I'm planning a reasonably small (land/shell price £55k, renovation/build <£85k cost hopefully £200k sale price) self-build/conversion to residential. I am aiming to complete within 2 years, doing most of the work myself. This will be my main occupation.

What is the best legal way to reduce my tax bill? Is anyone familiar with any business off-shoring, eg. to Gibraltar? I'm going to be fairly broke over the next 2 years and then will be getting a lump sum that I don't want to be paying out more than I have to!

What are my options (here's where I get a bit sketchy)?
    • Do nothing
      • -> pay 40% capital gains on £200k-£55k => £58k tax
    • Soletrader
      • -> pay income tax/NI on profit £200k-£140k => PAYE tax + £13,928 + NI £4,359 ????
    • Ltd salary (£60k)
      • -> PAYE tax £13,928 + NI £4,359 Employers NI £6,947
    • ltd salary (£6470) + dividends (£54k)
      • -> PAYE tax £0 NI £82 Employers NI £96, corp tax?? div tax?? (37%??) =>
    • Off shore???
      • No tax???

Any ideas or experiences would be great.

Thanks.

Re: Best legal tax structure for self builder

If this is going to be your occupation then initial thought is that it may certainly be worth considering setting up as a limited company. However, would definitely recommend advise from an accountant, as these situations can become complicated by other factors that may be present.

Comment

Working...
    X