Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

planning to build a small guest/playroom in garden next to maisonette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planning to build a small guest/playroom in garden next to maisonette

hi,
    i have viewed a first floor maisonete with private side garden backing onto other gardens in a residential area, will i be likely to get permission for a small office/guest room, there are no windows facing this garden from either property.

It's difficult to say as a key point I think is whether you are looking to Change of Use to business, or simply expand a residential property and simply use part of it for office use.

So far as I'm aware, there's nothing wrong with having a single room office in a residential property - however, a Change of Use application I would think is likely to take into account the context of area, ie, is it mainly residential, or is it already a mainly business area.

If you are looking to keep the property as registered for residential use, then the extension should be appraised on its own merits, and the actual use - being presumed to come under residential - should be immaterial to the planning application.

Simply as I understand it, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Comment

hi thanks
      i think your right from what i have read on the subject.
      what i was impieing was a small guest house or office and hopefully make a profit.
      have realised its a leasehold property and any profit would probably be low as i expect they would want a cash sum or not even let me do it.

anyone have a view on this?

Comment

Re: planning to build a small guest/playroom in garden next to maisonette

Quickest way to find out is ring the local council planning department.
        A guest room? if it contains a bedroom you are unlikely to get permission as it would constitute another property.

Comment

Originally posted by brian View Post
          It's difficult to say as a key point I think is whether you are looking to Change of Use to business, or simply expand a residential property and simply use part of it for office use.

So far as I'm aware, there's nothing wrong with having a single room office in a residential property - however, a Change of Use application I would think is likely to take into account the context of area, ie, is it mainly residential, or is it already a mainly business area.

Simply as I understand it, but I'm happy to be corrected.
          He's not planning to build office in property but in garden.

Comment

Sounds like you intend to build out at first floor level. How do you intend to do that and provide support from the ground floor? This may also effect windows on the ground floor surely. I'd say it's a definite no.

Comment

Working...
            X