Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Building Regs - Advice please!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Building Regs - Advice please!


    I've just brought my first development property and two of the things I plan to do fall under building regs (double glazing and cutting in to a supporting wall).

    I completely trust my builder to do a great job and I've been told not to bother with building regs but I'm a bit worried it'll cause problems when I come to sell so basically what can I get away with???!! Anyone had similar experiences?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I know building regs are there for a reason etc!

  • #2
    As far as I'm aware, you don't need Building Regs for replacement windows provided they are put in by someone who is FENSA registered or a member of the Competent Person Scheme.
    I think that cutting into a supporting wall is a different matter. You'd presumably need an RSJ which, I think, would fall within the BR. You don't say who told you not to bother with the BR but if it were me, I'd ring the local council to make sure. Afterall, it's your money at stake not theirs!
    Alternatively, you could try the Builders Forum on the Screwfix site for advice.


    • #3
      You are right to consider what problems might arise when selling. The Home Information Pack which is now obligatory includes a Property Information Questionnaire, within which you will be asked if you have carried out any structural alterations, and if so did you obtain the relevant Building Regs and/or Planning Approval - and if not, why not.

      Companies routinely involved in building repair works (eg, timber treatment companies replacing decayed floor joists) are often covered by a Competent Persons Scheme, under which they are permitted to self-certify their own work if they work to an approved manual. It may be that your builder is covered by such a scheme, but that would be quite unusual, so do check.

      The fine for not obtaing approval when approval was needed, can be £5000 (!) - plus whatever cost is involved in undoing and redoing any non-compliant work.
      Last edited by Slow Rambler; 08-07-2009, 12:00 AM.
      Renovation opportunity, 3b det., Carmarthenshire


      • #4
        The windows may fall under planning permission.

        If you intend to change the type of windows ie timber to uPVC and the property has any restrictions on it you may need to get planning permission.

        If its just a normal modern house you should be ok, but Older houses you may find yourself limited in changing the look.

        Also if the rest of the area have timber windows they can get funny about you putting uPVC in.

        However a quick call to your planning officer at you local council will resolve both your issues and save you a lot of hassle.