Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Insuring during renovation

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Insuring during renovation


    I'm buying a property which requires extensive renovation before I can move in. This will take around 3 months. I will be managing the renovations myself using contractors for the skill stuff - plumbing, electrics, brick/blockwork etc. I will also be paying a friend on a casual labour basis to help with the other stuff.

    The property is end terrace and the outer skin of the gable end cavity wall has bellied and needs dropping and rebuilding. I have a builder lined up for this. I will also be knocking the property about a bit internally i.e. knocking down the odd bit of wall to create more open living accomodation.

    The property will be unoccupied during the renovation.

    I am struggling to find anyone to insure the property during renovation. I appreciate that I'm not going to get any cover for the structural stuff while it's being knockled about.

    What I'm concerned about is:

    Fire/malicious damage, acts of nature - lightning etc, external impacts etc.

    Theft of tools and equipment left on site.

    Public liability.

    So far I've tried a few local brokers but none are interested. With all the renovation work that has been carried out recently I thought there would be a ready market (even if expensive) for this type of thing.

    Has anyone got any experience or advice on this?


  • #2
    these people will help you - they insure developers and builders. Can't promise it'll be cheap but then again, not worth risking someone getting hurt onsite without insurance!
    contact Mcmurdo pottipher webb
    Mark Donald
    providing more effective reports.......


    • #3
      There are many insurers in the market now offering cover for all types of unoccupied property insurance. Just do a google search


      • #4
        We found a broker called Home Shield that sold me a policy for a vacant property from the Halifax. The good thing about this policy is that it's on a month by month basis so I can cencel when we sell. The cost for a 3 bedroom house is just over £20 a month.


        • #5
          always check policys and the company as sometmes they wont pay a penny , be carefull.