Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eco house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eco house

Ever considered living in an eco-friendly house?

There's a nice photo feature about a couple living in an eco-house in Wales that's pretty interesting and informative with regards to what's required:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...use/html/1.stm

i did read something related to this in the yoga journal several months back. they featured also a couple whose surname is klein. in contrast, they have a very large home but they made it a point to create it using materials with low impact on the environment.

the house looks like the usual modern house we see now but it differs because they made sure the wood materials used are recycled; the same with the cement since they say it saves energy because it protects them from excessive heat during summer and excessive cold during winter. i forgot all the other details but overall, the kleins incorporate a love for the environment not just through the construction of their home, but by being pure vegetarians.

Comment

I have seen a few Tv programmes related to these eco friendly homes and if the money is spent correctly with a few interior designers to hand i think things could look great!
      Carnt say I could live in one though!

Comment

Grand Designs has had a lot of great looking eco houses. Some that I actually liked as opposed to my usual sort of sniffing at the way they end up looking. Architects are finally beginning to work with the technology rather than give us crap looking houses.

Comment

I like the idea, without a doubt, but the money upfront makes it a hard sell in my mind. You've got to know you are going to stay in the house to get your money out of it (at least with the solar homes).

Comment

Have to remember there are two parts to an Eco build.

Firstly i have seen a lot of new Eco builds that look very nice above the surface but have a lot of 'normal' construction issues ie. concrete, deep foundations, cement mortar etc.

Secondly, it should be about sustainability. Rainwater recycling, natural waste disposal, green roofs, solar/heat source heating etc.

Comment

Definitely. I've been more concious of the environment lately, it was mainly because of all the fuss of global warming and other pollutions. I also saw the movie "the Inconvenient Truth" which made me more aware of such things. So why not start within ourselves to help out, start at our own home.

Comment

Re: Eco house

Originally posted by duck View Post
                I like the idea, without a doubt, but the money upfront makes it a hard sell in my mind. You've got to know you are going to stay in the house to get your money out of it (at least with the solar homes).
                I think it's great to have such kind of home and to live there and of course if you decided to build such house for your family you won't think about selling it.
                Solar power for homes is a green way to cut electricity bills

Comment

Re: Eco house

Ever considered living in an eco-friendly house?

There's a nice photo feature about a couple living in an eco-house in Wales that's pretty interesting and informative with regards to what's required:

Does the house from this article steel exist? I 've read that these people had trouble with authorities because they didn't have planning permission...

Comment

Working...
                  X