Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Living in a croft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living in a croft

Anyone ever been tempted to get into crofting?

Here's a nice feature on the BBC website about the crofting lifestyle, and what's involved:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...ft_/html/1.stm

my mother often expresses her desire to live such a simple life--exactly the one shown in your link (nice link, by the way, brian! thanks for that) my hubby, too, would love to live in a croft but as for me, i would love to experience it only for a while i guess. i love the idea of raising my own food--animals, veggies and fruits--living in a peaceful place, breathing less polluted air and being close to a body of water; but i have to have internet connection to be able to survive for a long time.

but if it were only for a few months, i could stand the absence of my pc and the internet. i just have to have several books and crafts to keep me sane!

Comment

You really have to look into the crofting legislation before embarking on this. It's not just a matter of buying a croft and a few sheep!

Comment

I really had no idea what was crofting all about before seeing your link. Thanks, would love try that one out.

Comment

I would love to restore a croft house, but wouldn't go for crofting as a whole. I see some fabulous ruins up in Scotland and would love to get my hands on one of them! There's one, and I won't say where, that is high on a hill facing the sea. You can see for miles from that house. I'm praying it one day is for sale.

Comment

I also had never heard of this either. It sure seems like a much calmer lifestyle than the one I currantly am living. It sounds nice for awhile but then I couldn't see me living this way all the time.

Comment

It is definitely a lifestyle change if you go for the full crofting way. I don't think I could do it after attending too many livestock sales where lambs don't bring in any money at all. So sad to see a part of Scotland going away.

Comment

It's an interesting concept, but I'm not sure I'm hardy enough for it. I think my husband would absolutely love it, though.

Comment

My husband would love this type of lifestyle also. He is one for outdoors and no neighbors and hardwork. So he would enjoy this type of lifestyle also.

Comment

Here's a BBC article and a photo of a large croft house ...they're usually smaller than this. Real cottages.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

Comment

Unfortunately it is a fact of life that you would need an additional job, as crofting does not allow you to earn a reasonable income Lovely way of life, but hard .as you need anoither job and looking after stock 24/7

Comment

The last sheep sale I went to was so depressing that I think it's a dying way of life and too bad too.

Comment

Working...
                        X