Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

worthwhile dorma conversion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worthwhile dorma conversion?

I own a house which is a semi detached with two large bedrooms upstairs. our roof line lends itself very well to adding a dorma along the side of the property (as our neighbours have done) which will create enough room for a good size family bathroom and another good size bedroom. the works will cost around 15k to complete (mainly self built) . i have spoken to a local estate agent who sold us the property and he tells me that it would be an excellent investment and if we were to sell after the work was done we could walk away with about 25-30k equity. does adding a bedroom and family bathroom add that much value? just looking for some affirmation before i even start to get plans drawn up or start to raise finances. any thoughts or input welcome!

It certainly can add a lot of value - a basic rule of thumb for redevelopment is that anything that adds new rooms adds new value to a property.

However, the actual value amount seriously depends on local selling conditions - for example, a great property in a crap area will never increase value as much as a poor property in a great area.

Also, bear in mind that Estate Agents can get carried away with valuation.

Even still, investing in your property is always a good idea.

2c.

Comment

Working...
    X