Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting a house into flats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a house into flats

I have recently started thinking about buying a house to convert into flats solely for resale purposes. I just wanted to know what issues i would have to take into account prior to buying the house. Is there a bullet point list of things that the property need to meet in order to get the planning permissions. And the most important question, is it possible to find out if the property will get the planning permission prior to buying it. Look forward to all your replys and will keep you all updated as i follow through the process.

Mate. I am considering the same thing. I am going to see a mortgage advisor this afternoon. I have spoken to my local councils planning department who say they will go and look at the property this week and give me an idea of wether planning would be approved. The only concern I have is they insist flats should not be more than a 1 in 3 ratio. There is a flat next door. I have made an estimated list of costs. If you have done this before have I missed anything? I live in Lincolnshire. The purchase price of the terraced 3 bedroom property would be around 82k. Flats sell for about 60k in this area. I'd appreciate any advice. is 20k for conversion reasonable?

Building Control fees £352.00
    Mortgage early penalty fees etc ? (Will have better idea after seeing mortgage advisor)
    Fit kitchen £1,200.00
    Estates agent/solicitors fees (All including conveyancing) £3,000.00
    Combi Boiler x 2£1,000.00
    Fit rear UPVC door and stairs £1,200.00
    Planning Fees £265.00
    Achitects fees £400.00
    Re-route water (Inc Installed devices) £2,000.00
    Re-route wiring (Inc installed devices) £2,000.00
    Building/Structural changes (make into flat) £1,500.00
    Re-route gas (Inc installed devices) £2,000.00
    Sound proofing £4,000.00
    Painting/Decorating after work £500.00

TOTAL £19,417.00
    Last edited by BPVicar; 28-01-2008, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Something definitely worth considering at the moment is that there's a lot of volatility in the flats to rent market - if you are going to do the conversion, do take a clear and careful look at the local rental market and see whether your estimates of income are reasonable.

2c.

Comment

Cheers Brian. I'll be looking at selling one of the flats and living in the other. This would be my first venture and I'm hopeful I could get rid of my mortgage. Would be good to be mortgage free by 32 years old.

Comment

Yes, it would be good - but please do appreciate that you are also entering a property industry that is in a downturn, which is bad news especially for sellers. The danger is of taking on too many risks with your investment, and rather than paying off your mortgage early, instead lumber yourself with huge debts that extend your repayment period, rather than reduce it.

Comment

Originally posted by BPVicar View Post
            Cheers Brian. I'll be looking at selling one of the flats and living in the other. This would be my first venture and I'm hopeful I could get rid of my mortgage. Would be good to be mortgage free by 32 years old.
            I am looking to do the same worth considering the'certificate of lawful use route' if you are going to live in one and sell or rent the other, although the process takes 4 years - definately worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by BPVicar View Post
              Mate. I am considering the same thing. I am going to see a mortgage advisor this afternoon. I have spoken to my local councils planning department who say they will go and look at the property this week and give me an idea of wether planning would be approved. The only concern I have is they insist flats should not be more than a 1 in 3 ratio. There is a flat next door. I have made an estimated list of costs. If you have done this before have I missed anything? I live in Lincolnshire. The purchase price of the terraced 3 bedroom property would be around 82k. Flats sell for about 60k in this area. I'd appreciate any advice. is 20k for conversion reasonable?

Building Control fees £352.00
              Mortgage early penalty fees etc ? (Will have better idea after seeing mortgage advisor)
              Fit kitchen £1,200.00
              Estates agent/solicitors fees (All including conveyancing) £3,000.00
              Combi Boiler x 2£1,000.00
              Fit rear UPVC door and stairs £1,200.00
              Planning Fees £265.00
              Achitects fees £400.00
              Re-route water (Inc Installed devices) £2,000.00
              Re-route wiring (Inc installed devices) £2,000.00
              Building/Structural changes (make into flat) £1,500.00
              Re-route gas (Inc installed devices) £2,000.00
              Sound proofing £4,000.00
              Painting/Decorating after work £500.00

TOTAL £19,417.00
              Can I ask how you get your local planning office to view the property and tell you whether planning permission would be granted? Also how much does this service cost please? thanks

Comment

sub-dividing

my father has a house that had be divided into 2 postal adresses. how does he un-divide it so just one postal address is registered?

Comment

Re: Converting a house into flats

may i ask how you got on with the house into flats convertion? thinking of this as a project.
                  kind regards

Comment

Working...
                  X