Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Underpinning

    Hi everyone,
    I've just joined this site in the hope that someone may be able to offer some advice! My other half an I have just found a really nice property that we would like to buy - trouble is, it had some underpinning done in the late 90s. Acording to the estate agent acting on behalf of the vendors it hasn't have any movement since, which is obviously a good thing, but what if they not being entirely truthful? I have rung the local planning office and asked if they had approval under building regulations for the underpinning and they guy I spoke said he couldn't find any such application in their systems. Does anyone have any advice?
    Has anyone ever taken on a house that has had movement and been underpinned? We can still see some cracks on the exterior walls and on the interior wall in the living room. Also the door to the bathroom is very sloped now! Are these thing easily rectifiable now that the underpinning has taken place??
    Thanks in advance!

  • #2
    Sorry for the delay, but welcome to Home Move.

    As for the movement - really, you'd probably need either a Building Surveyor or Structural Surveyor in to look at these issues, in my opinion. They should hopefully be able to advise you properly, even just with a phone conversation, or else through a paid survey if it seems required. May cost a few hundred quid if it came to that, but probably cheaper than losing the sale of your property!

    I suspect a surveyor will be able to gauge from any details you give as to whether correct procedure has been followed, and how to deal with the cracks as a result.

    Anyway, hope that helps a bit.


    • #3
      If you are aware of previous underpinning work the mortgage company will insist on getting a full structural survey, which you should do anyway knowing what you know.The surveyor will tell you how successfull the previous works have been done, if extra work is required you could negotiate on the asking price providing your mortgage company are happy to proceed.From what you have described it may require re under-pinning.A friend of mine has just experienced this and the mortgage company then refused to lend on the property.
      If you've got it, Property Flaunt it! - www.PropertyFlaunt.com