Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any roofers or builders advice on roof structure?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any roofers or builders advice on roof structure?

Hi all,
    I am buying a house, first time buyer and just had the surveyors report back.
    There are Two things I really need advice on, and I'm not sure where to turn.

1. There is evidence of some deflection and distortion to the main frame. The original roof plane has deflected slightly over the gable end. This is probably due to failure of timber gable ladder and will need to be monitored. Also the roof slope has sagged slightly between rafters.

It is a dorma bungalow with two bedrooms upstairs in the roof space, Does anyone know if this is a urgent serious concern? It was flagged as yellow - will need repair at some point, but I am worried that the roof could come down on my daughter, what is the worse case scenario?

2. The garage - detached from house, is red:

There is cracking to some of the walls and supporting columns which will need repair. Similarly the brickwork is poor in places.
    There are signs of a woodbeetle infestation to the roof timbers. It has likely spread to other concealed areas.

My question here is does anyone know if there is a high risk of woodbettle spreading to the house roof/rafters, how far do these pests travel? Does it sound as if the garage roof is in immediate structural danger and is it easy to eradicate woodbettle and repair the beams?

Thanks in advance
    Jo

Re: Any roofers or builders advice on roof structure?

This forum is not very active.....

I wouldn't worry too much regarding the roof but you could ask a roofer to check it out as a precaution.

In the garage, are the walls rendered?

With wood beetles are they active, can you see wood powder near the holes as they burrow though the wood indicating they are active?

Comment

Working...
    X