Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with conveyancing solicitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with conveyancing solicitor

Hi All,

I rent an apartment in a small block and in August my neighbour across the hall informed me that she was moving and putting her apartment on the market.

I put in an offer the next day and it was immediately accepted. This was on 28th August. The property I am buying is vacant as the seller moved out that same day, into a care home close to her daughter, therefore the seller has no chain.

I do not have a property to sell and am currently in rented accommodation. Therefore, the buyer has no chain. There is no chain involved in this transaction from either side.

I am a cash buyer so do not require a mortgage.

On Friday, 7 weeks would have passed since my offer was accepted.
    The seller's solicitor took 5 weeks to provide my solicitor with the contract, title deeds and leasehold pack (we are actually using the same firm as thought it would be quicker).
    Since my solicitor received the documents on the 2nd October, she has not reviewed them. I know the next step is for her to raise enquiries but she has told me she will do this "once she has a chance to review the documents". I asked her what the leasehold term is last week and she told me she will let me know when she looks.
    It has been 12 days since my solicitor received the documents and, as far as I am aware, she has not reviewed them or started raising enquiries.

I have been trying to get hold of her this week but she is not responding to my emails or answering my calls.

My tenancy agreement in my rented property comes to an end on 7th November. I thought I would be able to move into my new property, as the purchase seemed quite straightforward initially, but last week my solicitor told me it would be 10 weeks from now - so I am looking at 15th December earliest.

My question is, am I being unreasonably impatient or is my solicitor being unnecessarily tardy, causing the completion date to be delayed, resulting in me and my 5 year old daughter having to move into temporary accommodation when we needn't have to.

Thanks,

Laura

Re: Problems with conveyancing solicitor

Your situation is not uncommon. Your only option is to keep hassling the solicitors to do what they are supposed to be doing. The system is, I’m afraid, not efficient.
    Jonathan Rolande
    Director of House Buy Fast.
    The UK's Quick House Buying Company
    01903 331 588.

Comment

Working...
    X