Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Pease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Pease

First time buyer here and wanted some advice please.

Currently had an offer accepted on a home we looked at and have had our home buyers report back.

On the report appeared a few issues which the surveyer classed as "urgently needed repair" and a few issues as needing repairs in the future. We asked the Estate agents if the vendor would be able to get estimates as a lot of the issues are building and safety issues with electrics.

Main Walls
    There is a stepped cracking to the render coat particularly at the end wall front and rear corners, which I suspect is due to thermal movement, defective block bonding and/or the defective rendering cot. Within the roof voids there are come loose blocks evident. The external blocks should be checked and any loose re-bonded.

Electrics
    There is no current test certification, a potentially hazardous open light fitting in the bathroom, no RCD circuit protection and no visible gas earth bonding.

Water/Plumbing
    Some knocking on pipework was evident when the taps and wc were operated in the bathroom.

Heating/Hot Water
    The position of the boiler flue may not comply with current safety and installation standards.

I understand that the system has not been serviced from new (Approx 5 years). Central heating water pressure was in the red zone on the gauge.

Further advice should be obtained from gas safe and electrical contractor's.

I spoke to the Estate agents about getting estimates for the work but they said the vendor is not prepared to get these done and as we have got the house at a reduced price we basically need to take it or leave it. He also said his neighbour has recently sold their house and wanted his house at the full asking price. I feel like telling them to shove it.

The surveyor valued the property at £119,000 bang on what we paid for it.

Any advice appreciated as becoming quite stressed about it all.

Re: Help Pease

Send this post to your solicitor asking him to raise your queries with the seller's solicitor. The estate agent is working on behalf of the seller, not you, the buyer.

You have already negotiated a reduced price on the property, presumably because you were aware that there would be a certain amount of work or modernising to do. Also, your mortgage lender agrees that the property is worth what you are paying.

The seller is within his rights to refuse to negotiate with you over your survey. The survey is useful in that it helps you understand what needs to be maintained but it isn't just about expecting a reduction in purchase price for everything the survey mentions. You can ask the vendor (via solicitor) to get the central heating inspected and a copy of the inspection report sent to you. Getting the central heating serviced may give you some answers regarding knocking on pipework and water pressure. The flue may not comply with current ruling but nor would the large majority of properties. Only new-builds would be to current standards. Cracked rendering may or may not be significant. Every property has to "settle" once built and would hopefully just be settlement cracks. If the cracks are more than significant, i.e. you can get a forefinger in between, and/or the cracks are widening, then it might be worth having a structural engineer's report. Should the structural engineer's report be worrying, then it's time to walk away.

Comment

Re: Help Pease

As Spickle said consult the solicitors.

Out of interest how much are the renovations that need doing and how much was their original asking price?

Personally i'd walk away because the cracks would worry me but Spickle's gave a lot of detail there on what to do first if you still want to consider.
      Andy
      Installer for Mezz Floors

Comment

Working...
      X