Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sold fee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sold fee

Hi my son is a first time buyer, he found a house and put an offer on it which was accepted, as he didn't want anyone else to be able to put an offer after his had been accepted the estate agents charged him £100 to mark the property straight away as sold! Is this legal, I have asked other people if they have heard of this and no one seems to think this is allowed, please can anyone help!
    Thank you
    Kind regards Michelle

Re: Sold fee

My first question would be, has he now got written confirmation that he has the rights to purchase the house and have it removed from the market? For example, if I was selling and accepted an offer, if someone had happened to see the property before the offer was accepted but came back after me accepting the offer with a few £000 more than the one accepted I'd accept the higher offer.

The next question is, if the sale falls through, will he get his £100 back?

And finally, I've purchase a lot of properties, assisted my family purchase houses and also helped friends as well, and never had I heard of any agent asking for any kind of payment in order to 'secure' the property and have it removed from the market.

That is a little strange

Comment

Re: Sold fee

Dodgy! He needs t and c’s at the very least. I don’t like this increasingly common idea of taking money from both sides.
      Jonathan Rolande
      Director of House Buy Fast.
      The UK's Quick House Buying Company
      01903 331 588.

Comment

Working...
      X