Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying an underpinned property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying an underpinned property

Hello,

I have found a house I wish to buy but it has been underpinned. I am yet to receive further information regarding this but what I have been told is that the neighbouring property incurred some subsidence due to tree roots and that the property I wish to buy was underpinned as a precaution and this was carried out 40 years ago.

Below are the questions we have asked the estate agent to find the answers to, are there anymore we should ask.
    • Why the underpinning was undertaken
    • What part of the house and neighbouring houses were affected
    • Does the vendor have details of the company that undertook the underpinning?
    • Details of any guarantees that may be in place?
    • Would the vendor be willing to provide us with a copy of the structural survey report done at the time they purchased the property?
    • The name of their current building insurer?
    Any advice would be gratefully received.

Re: Buying an underpinned property

As long as the paper work is in place, go ahead and buy it. I would rather buy one that had been underpinned than one that hadnt

Comment

The seller has now pulled the property off the market. The reason we have been given is that if they do not get the asking price they will let it out. The asking price was offers in excess of 325K and we offered 300K subject to all paperwork being in order. We were not prepared to go above 310K due to the increase in our insurance cost and also (even though this would be our family home for some time) we would also have trouble selling and maybe not is a market that is currently good for sellers.

If anyone does have further information on my original post it would be very helpful for future reference.

Comment

its a bit late but make sure you have the documentation on the works carried out and the structural engineers report as you will need that for the insurance.

Comment

From where to go to buy a new House ? please help
          Property To Rent

Comment

Working...
          X